Gas meter on flexible connections?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas meter in the kitchen I am doing up, it is located on the floor in the corner in what used to be a brick cupboard.

gas1.jpg

It has a lead pipe comming form the supply side pipe to the meter that is badly bent and crimped..

gas3.jpg

The floor of the cupboard is slightly higher than the rest of the kitchen and i wanted to grind it down before leveling the whole floor..

floorhole.jpg

what I could do with is getting the gas suppliers out to either move the meter off the floor onto a bracket or something, or having it on some sort of flexible connection (as on the outlet side of the meter ) so I can raise it up to floor under it and then put it back down..

gas2.jpg

Is this a posibility or will they just tell me to go away?

Sponsored Links
Flexibels (even hose pipe)? I DO NOT think so. But no harm in asking.

National Grid will move your meter for you (outside if you wish) if you have a few hundred quid to spare. :(

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have a very old connection. lead is ok except in blocks of flats. Can't quite see what type of govenor you have. Does it sya Jeavons J88 on the label on the top? If so these have to be replaced when discovered. If it is a J88 call Transco and tell them you have been told you may have a faulty govenor. If it is a J88 they will replace it and you will get a new flexible anaconda pipe from your ECV to the new govenor as well. All FOC!

kevplumb said:
first time iv'e seen an anaconda on the outlet side :confused: :confused:

Quite common in my area, although I always change them when any gas work carried out on pipe work.

Is that a hit and miss vent, supplying an open flue appliance?

that's just what i found when i took the units out.. used to be a cupboard there at some point (hence the hole in the floor where the wall was. ).

there are vents all over the flat.. one in the bathroom ( now housing the extract fan ) and one in the "spare" room also..

the boiler is above that gas meter so extra fresh air is doing it no harm..

just gotta make the unit i put it back into draught proof..
:D

If baxpoti is correct and this is a vent for an open flued appliance then it should be made permanently open and any fly screen removed. Also in this case DO NOT make it draught proof unless other permanent vent is fitted elsewhere

I read somewhere that an anaconda on the outlet of a meter is NCS and should be removed when possible.

If its acceptable on the inlet I dont see why its not acceptable on the outlet. Hard piped connectors on the outlet could get strained by anyone abusing the gas meter and the pipework might start to leak!

Tony

I think a meter on 2 flexi's is NCS only for the fact it make's it easier for the user to fiddle the meter!
RGI's will know why. ;)

The National Grid man should want it fixed to the wall, unless it's firmly on the floor which you don't want.

Needs an Earth Bond too.

Let a corgi at the outlet side pipe and you're likely to be told it can't be altered unless all the pipework is changed because it's undersized. It's nearly always undersized.....

ChrisR said:
The National Grid man should want it fixed to the wall, unless it's firmly on the floor which you don't want.

Since its National Grid who should have fixed it to the wall in the beginning its unlikely any of them will want the bother.

I have twice reported to Transc that the meter is not fixed to the wall and just hanging off its pipes at high level and they only VERY grudgingly came and sorted it out!

Tony

keego said:
I think a meter on 2 flexi's is NCS only for the fact it make's it easier for the user to fiddle the meter!
RGI's will know why. ;)

I queried this with my CORGI inspector and he said tha it is fine with one each sideof the meter. What was meant is that 2 flexis joined together for extra length is not allowed.

I dont think he gave you the correct "official CORGI answer".

There is nothing unusual about that of course!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back