Bodge Job victim needing advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A big posting but in trouble here! :(
Can anyone who is in the trade tell me if the following jobs done are passable or do they need remedial action please?
My parents have had a bathroom fitted by someone who was highly recommended, but instead proved to be total £!&*£$% who made a few nasty bodges, most of which can/has been put right, but the following still concerns me ;

1.They replaced plaster board after knocking off the old tiles, except for one wall, where they nailed plaster board over the old.

2.They didn't treat it with any PVA.

3.The rendering came off one supporting wall, and they used plaster that is intended for areas that have low porosity, (no finishing plaster) then tiled over it the following day.

4. They silicon sealed around the shower unit but, they left a big hole (3" square) behind it for the power and water supply, and am able to see the plaster board.
Should this be tiled up to prevent water getting into the plaster board, despite having the silicon sealant around the shower unit?

5. They used a sealing strip that appears to go under the tiles then over the rim of the bath, but does not meet the bath properly, which will obviously leak. and mitred the corners of it, leaving a small gap for water to get at the plaster board. I can't seem to get it off without pulling the tiles off with it.

the tiles are big: (25cm x 33.3) Can anyone give me advice on any action that I may have to take to prevent the tiles coming off?

Could someone give me advice on anything i can do about the above, and if not, then if the tiles were to start falling off, would they come straight off without warning or would there be tell tale signs first? e.g cracks in the grout.

many many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. No problem with overboarding provided they used long enough fixings, Would personally have used screws rather than nails downside is a slight reduction in size of room.

2. Plasterboard does not need coating with PVA, its better to tile straight onto it.

3. Probably "ONECOAT" plaster which is fine, possibly would have been better to leave it to dry a little longer but will depend on thickness and temp of room also did your parents want to wait a week for the plaster to dry out?

4. Hard to say any chance of posting a picture, where can you see the hole from?

5. Don't use the sealing strips myself but there may be a problem whynot ask the fitter back to sort it out.

Jason

hello, sorry no pics. the hole can be seen when the shower unit cover is removed. the base of the shower has silicone between it and the tiles, but the hole is about 3" sqaure for the electrtic & water supply, and you can see the bare plasterboard. should it have been tiled over with just enough room for the water and electric supply?

dont know how to post a pic! :(

I have done some detective work on the nails used. they used clout nails.. some 3cm and others 4cm long, going through 2 plasterboard sheets and so going about 1 to 1.5 cm into the wood frame behind. any good?

conscripted said:
5. They used a sealing strip that appears to go under the tiles then over the rim of the bath, but does not meet the bath properly, which will obviously leak. and mitred the corners of it, leaving a small gap for water to get at the plaster board. I can't seem to get it off without pulling the tiles off with it.

Would you be able to cut the strip with a stanley knife and just leave the other half under the tiles? Using something else to seal the bath in?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back