confused - kitchen foil on walls.?.??..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started to remove the wallpaper in the hall ready for re-decoration. When I pulled the first bit of paper off, it came away really easily, great I thought. My joy was short lived as once the bit had come off, I noticed there was kitchen foil on the back. The external two walls appear the have been covered in this way, the other 2 internal walls just have paper on them. The paper has then been covered with emulsion.

It looks like the walls were first 'papered' with kitchen foil, then the wallpaper put up afterwards.

I have never seen this before and am worried its been put there to hide something, no idea what though. Any idea whats going on here?

Sponsored Links
Maybe some of the cybermen used to live there.... :rolleyes: ..........or...there is, or has been a damp problem on the exterior walls. The stuff in question is called foildamp and its foil backed lining paper thats put on with a special adhesive which is resistant to water.

You may have a rigt job in getting it off...id get the existing paper off, prepare the walls and then line them.

If it gas been hung correctly there will be overlaps on the joints so you may have small ridges on the surface..fill em over before you line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back