Tiling onto plaster ?

gcol that was a bit unnecessary, i never said it must be right merely gave information of my personal experience with that appliaction.
gosh there really is no need to be rude.

Sponsored Links
lizzieuk1 said:
gcol that was a bit unnecessary, i never said it must be right merely gave information of my personal experience with that appliaction.
gosh there really is no need to be rude.
If you think that's rude, stick around a bit longer - I generally have a really rude month in March. :rolleyes:
I'm extremely sorry if you thought I was being rude dear - I must really work on my peoples skills. :evil:

Seriously though, it's very easy for someone to give out duff information on forums like these just based of their own experiences. You were giving out bad info - fact.

gcol said:
Oh well it must be right then. :rolleyes: PVAing walls around a shower is a no no. It's more of an issue with smaller tiles I grant you, but the basic idea is that pva can be reactivated enough when wet to release it's bond. It creates a barrier to which the tile adhesive adheres to instead of the wall.
totally true.i have seen loads of tiles come off months after they have been put on this way. usually when people use showers more than just the bath. the way is as said, a good tanking is all that is needed. have removed tiles that have been on for years and not been tanked. but you want to see the state of the walls when they are removed as gcol will tell you. and for the sake of £40/50. i know which way i would go.

Sponsored Links
It's nice to have someone on side jdp - I sometimes think that people don't believe me on here. ;) It's not everywhere that gives out free info. :rolleyes:
I'm gonna be in China from the 8th March to 2nd April so can you help point folk in the right direction?

gcol......You are one of the most accurate and informative members on this forum, keep up the good work.

Unfortunately some people post nonsense information, and when its pointed out, get shirty about it........ :rolleyes:

Enjoy your holiday, if it is one, perhaps you have a WALL to tile over there..... :LOL:

I have absolutely no problem with others pointing out when info is incorrect, in fact its all very useful for me aswell, however i do wish you'd just post the facts and hold off on the sarcastic comments, they really aren't necessary and just cause aggro.

Thanks trazor, unfortunately it's business not pleasure. Though the beers will be on the company. ;) Not tiling though, I'm in fire safety now.

Lizzieuk1, in the words of a famous philosopher... "Don't have a cow." :p

OK last question... ;)

Being loik I be in France an all, the bleeding plaster's different innit ?

It's the gypsum-white variety, not the clay-based(?) brown UK style and from my reading of all my bags of tiling mix, I can only tile onto plaster if it's paper-backed - ie plasterboard is OK, raw plaster not.

So I guess that's the final word. Cement onto (white) plaster is a non-non.

ciao

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back