Bathroom tiling prep for plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am tiling my bathroom,and have removed the old tiles and adhesive.
The problem is that the adhesive has pulled off the top layer of paper on the plasterboard,leaving the brown cardboardy layer exposed.Should I tile onto this,or do I need to prep it with anything?
Also at the wall where the shower hits the tiles,dampness had got behind and all the brown cardboardy stuff came off with the tiles,leaving a 2ft sq patch of plaster exposed.Should I replace the plasterboard or can I tile on to the bare plaster?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
hi there.
i would cover the 2sq/ft with finishing plaster, and give it time to dry out.
this has be caused by the shower area not being "tanked" properly.

tanking is a water proof membrane that covers the wall prior to tiling and stops the water affecting the subtrate. these kits can be purchased for around £40

make the walls good and tank the shower area and you should be good to go matey.

Thanks for that.

Am I right in saying that I should use a pva bond diluted 5-1 with water for priming the plasterboard?(top sheet came off with the old adhesive)

Cheers

Could you not replace the plaster board? At £5 a sheet, is often cheaper and quicker just to do this. Also, for the shower area, why not buy and fit Aquapanels ( tile backer boards )? Its a bit dearer, but it is easy to fit and you can start tiling straight away.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
I think I will go with the aquapanel as you suggest.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back