Tiling a bath side panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tiled a bath panel with standard wall tiles and waterproof adhesive onto 20mm exterior ply. Problem is the ply has since warped badly (length-ways) - too much to ignore. What has caused the warp and how should I do it?
Alan :(

Sponsored Links
Was the ply screwed to the frame properly? Did you provide enough framing support in the middle of the sheet and screw to it?

I am trying to make a removable panel, so intended to screw it to the frame after tiling & finish with screw caps. I want to have access to pipework, isolating valves, etc. under the bath end.
Alan

That explains why you were using thick ply. Ok, you have a choice - you could try another ply panel but before you tile it give it a few coats of wood preservative (all over both side and edges) to minimise the effects of moisture. Or you could use something more stable - MDF is more resistant to warping than ply, but you really do need to make sure you seal it properly (again a few coats of preservative are needed).
I have a removable tiled bath panel, but I tiled over an existing MDF bath panel and that's been rock solid for years.
Good luck this time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, will try MDF. I had already sealed the ply but on one side - perhaps contributing to the problem.

gcol is bang as normal correct .. would recommend /bal gear,(initial substrate was cr*p) for it ....

last post is correct!
plywood and MDF will absorb moisture must use backer board (cement Board) do it right now and enjoy forever.

crasycanuck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back