Damp spots on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I don't know if this is in the right section. I live in a top floor flat. In the bedroom, there are damp marks on one wall which are circular in shape, halfway down the wall.

They appear when it is raining and disappear over time. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They could be down to bridging on the wall ties..

Dont bother trying to patch them with damp sealer yet, you need to get to the source...have a good look at your exterior walls for cracks etc.

is the building of cavity wall construction or solid 9" brick work?

if it were 9" brick, then i would look out for any perished header bricks, as these can transfer damp directly inside.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if it cavity wall, how would I find out? The building is about 100 years old.

Hi again,
It was raining this morning and the damp spots have returned to the inside wall. The damp spots are always at the same place, I can only assume that it is getting through the brickwork (although I may be wrong as I am no expert, but the spots are always appearing at the same place!!)

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this causing long term damage to the brickwork?
2. How would I go about fixing this?
3. Would it be ok to use a waterproof sealant paint on the inside walls to prevent the damp spots from appearing? If this is ok, would the dampness just evaporate away from the outside? Would doing this cause any long term damage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

one of two problems.
roof leak maybe i don't think so but might be,if the spot keeps showing in the same spot on an outside wall sounds more like a brick sealing job
check both before moving on. does the wind blow from that side of house
if so it's blowing water in and were back to sealing
good luck

crazycanuck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back