Thin Tile Cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently fitting some large (450 x 310 x:cool: ceramic wall tiles to a bathroom and have been using a standard large score and press style cutter.

The cutter has been fine until I need to do a thin (15mm) slice from the long edge of a tile.

Is it possible to use this kind of cutter for such a thin cut or is the only way to use a wet electric wheel type ?

Sponsored Links
I'm not the most experienced tiler on the planet but I don't like your chances of pulling off a 15mm slice. Over here you could take it in to trade places where they do difficult cuts for a price but I don't know what you have over there. I'm renovating a whole house and invested in a wet diamond saw. It's worth every penny (or cent) ;) ...Kev...

Yes you can use a wet saw but I'd be inclined to use an angle grinder with a decent diamond blade (more useful than a wet saw set up). There's nothing to stop you using a straight edge with an angle grinder. With a decent blade it'll take you less than a minute for that cut. Start with a light cut along the straight edge, then go all the way through on the second pass.

i'm with gcol on this one. cutting on a flattened pile of wet sand makes life easier too.

Sponsored Links
I started off using an angle grinder but my cuts finish up about as straight as a dogs hind leg and the thinner ones seem to always break on me just as I get to the end :rolleyes: ...Kev...

Hi, i would score the size you want and then score again at 30mm. Snap the tile at 30mm(it should break if you have a decent cutter) and then 'nip' off the un needed 15mm. Im a tiler and thats how i do it. Give it a try. Good luck.

my Rubi Tile Cutters...

would do the works for a ......DIY/Pro......BANg ..ON...

From a BOSS Tiler ...Rubi .....
BRILLIANT....lol :) ........you wont look back ....

the reason the manuel cutter won't work on thin strips is because it is crowned in the centre and the clamp needs a fare surface to apply pres
sue to ,a 1" strip is not enough .A wet saw is the way to go

crazycanuck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back