Treating Internal Pine Doors ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brand new doors, untreated, soon to be put on by joiner.

When should I treat them - before or after fitting ? If after (as advised by my joiner), it seems impossible to treat underneath the door !

Also - any pro's and con's with what to treat them with please ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
no need to treat the bottom of internal doors....

im sure i will get hammered for this but....

i recommend danish oil

you put a coat of it on witha cloth, wait til it drys then buff it up

then you repeat it

you might need 3 or 4 coats but it is fantastic stuff

i built a cupboard front with chipboard doors (veneered) in me dads bathroom and danish oil has safeguarded that for ten years.

(yes, i did say chipboard in a bathroom)

8 coats is good enough for stairs just to give you an idea

Danish Oil is good though it tends to darken in shade after a few months etc.

Is Briwax on its own good enough to seal Pine doors :?:

I like the colour of natural pine so would like to keep it as Piney as possible. :!:

Sponsored Links
Buy some "Johnstones Woodworks Quick Dry Clear Satin Varnish" for interior use. Its the best for what you are looking for.

ModernMaterials said:
no need to treat the bottom of internal doors....
im sure i will get hammered for this but....i recommend danish oil

I have had some decent pine doors fitted through the house and have used Danish Oil on them. It brings out the knots in the wood. It will change colour in time but only for the better. It will not turn the doors orange as I had been advised previously. A very good finish all round and good for wiping off the kids sticky finger marks.

I'm currently in the same position. I'm replacing all my doors/frames/skirtings etc with pine and I'm looking for a natural non orange finish. I've tried Ronseal Diamond Hard medium oak varnish (should say medium orange). Guess this door is going in the bin :evil:

I see some of you are recommending Danish oil. Is this waterproof as I need to do the inside of the bathroom door?

Is this something that is going to scuff, mark easily? Any other suggestions as to what I could use would be appreciated.

Thanks

If anyone is thinking of trying Colron Danish Oil on untreated pine doors/skirtings etc I can throurghly recommend it.

I used Antique Pine and it really does enrich the wood to give it an authentic look but not brand spanking new pine. Certainly suits the rustic style I have the rest of the house in.

Thanks again for recommending it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back