PVC Hydropanel versus tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a bathroom and am considering using hydropanels instead of ceramic tiles around the bath area, above which is a power shower. Can I use ordinary tile adhesive, or does it have to be the really expensive special stuff they sell in 300ml cartridges? I'd have to use dozens of them as I am gluing direct onto the wall and not battens. Does anyone have any experience of using hydropanels? Any points to watch out for?
Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
tmh: see here
Panels can be fixed direct to battens or walls using Hydropanel adhesive. It is recommended that the panels are fixed to battens to provide air space behind. Fix treated timber battens approximately 45mm x 21 mm horizonally with one at the head and one at the base of the panels. Additional horizontal battens should be a maximum distance of 500mm apart. They should be parallel to each other and plumb to give a solid ground for fixing the panels whith Hydropanel adhesive. Additional battens should be used behind wash hand basins, towel rails and other heavy items to give a secure fixing.

MW

Thanks. The problem I would have in using battens is that the bath fits into three walls – both ends and the back edge, and the walls are the exact dimensions of the bath. If I battened the wall, the thickness of the hydropanels and the battens together would hang over the inside rim of the bath and butt up against the taps. Is it possible to glue directly to the wall, and if so, what adhesive should I use?

Perhaps you could chase out the plaster where the battens were to go and attach them directly to the blockwork (that is assuming it's not a stud wall), flush with the plaster. You could then affix the panels to the battens.

Sponsored Links
One wall is solid – the other two are stud walls!! Why do these panels need airspace behind them when ordinary tiles can go straight onto the wall? What potential damage/problems could I expect if I put them directly onto the wall using adhesive?

Why not take the plasterboard off and put in noggins for your panel?

That’s a good idea – thanks - hadn't thought of it. But what would be the potential problems if the panels were simply glued to the walls?

Depending what type of fixings they are, if it need to be glue then you could put some batten inside the studwork and plasterboard flush to the edge of the studwork.

Ok - thanks - but why can't I simply glue straight onto the plasterboard?

dummer said:
Ok - thanks - but why can't I simply glue straight onto the plasterboard?
Because the plasterboards isn't there anymore :LOL:

Let's suppose that I haven't taken the plasterboard away..........why can't I glue the panels to the plasterboard?? :confused:

Best to check with the manufacter if it's acceptable. I'm not sure if the plastic panel have a expansion movement.

why not use the PVC style hollow panels. see bathroom marque for these, they are much lighter, much cheaper, about a third of the cost, and can be put directly onto the walls using any silicon adhesive.

sounds good! I've seen this stuff, but it sort of looks a bit flimsy to me. Would it dent if accidentally knocked with the shower head or similar, and could I drill and screw such things as shower spray rail, bathscreen without it bending and splitting??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back