Need advice to re-decorate water damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some one help me please. We had a problem with water dripping from a pipe in the bathroom some time ago and it caused water damage on the ceiling in the living room.

Now when this first happened I was told by someone to cover the patch with gloss but this didn't really make any difference.

Any how I have attached this picture:-

05032007004-001.jpg

As you can see the paint has peeled away and the lining paper on the ceiling is also peeling.

So question is whats the simplest way to get this fixed?

I was thinking of striping the paint and lining paper down, getting some new lining paper (if thats what you put up), and then get something to make that speckled affect on the ceiling and paint over it.

As you've guessed I haven't done this before but I need to sort it out.

I need some help! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Hang on..Artex over lining paper?..are you sure?

Check to see if it isnt a big piece of paint lifting..in an old house it could mean distemper instead.

Gloss is an old wifes tale..it causes the emulsion problems in sticking to it too...try oil based undercoat

Well this is the thing, as you can see from the picture where the paint is peeling off its going in a straight line so i'm assuming it is indeed lining paper. Although I could be wrong.

The house is approx 10 years by the way..

So you suggest getting undercoat? Ive got some base coat will that do the job?

Then it just needs to be artexed over I assume. How would you do that?

Thanks

Stan..

It wont be distemper then..your in luck!

And I cant see why anyone would line a ceiling in a house that new...it could be paint peeling back

My theory after having a closer look is that its the paper tape from the join..in fact id put money on it.

Scrape back the loose, check to see if the tape needs sticking down...and stick it back down with wallpaper paste or pva..give the area a coat of oil based undercoat

Then mask off the damaged bit with 2 inch masking tape and fill if deep with a runny ish mix of polyfiilla..and stipple it with a flat sponge, a brush or a roller sleeve..infact anything that will help get some texture back.

Leave to dry

And re-paint..id g for matt, it doesnt show up different surfaces .ie. the damaged bit as much.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Zampa,

I had a closer look last night and I think you are indeed correct in that it looks like paper tape so I will need to strip the area down and stick the tape back on.

Then paint the area over, now ive got some polyfilla basecoat, do you think that will do the job?

Then as for the polyfilla do you think if I get Textured Ceilings - Matt Rippled Finish would do the job?

Stan..

hold it, whoa, back up the boat,
first you MUST fix the leak or the problem will come back to haunt you.
if the ceiling panel is soft or mushy cut it out and replace with new drywall
retape mud and sand entire ceiling to remove cracked ceiling bits
when done mask down wall with poly about a foot and texture spray entire ceiling using the texture spaying machine rentable from your local reno store

crazycanuck

If you have the base coat stuff give it a go..ive enver used it but if it says its ok for sealing water stains thenit should be ok

The poly ripple stuff might be ok too...but do you need so much for a small area like that?

The leak was fixed quite some time ago, but haven't had a chance to fix it. So got grief of the misses this week so guess what i'm doing this weekend :D

Thanks all for your comments.

Stan..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back