Plastering full rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got tips for plastering a small sitting room in the one day?
Do I start with the ceiling then do walls one by one?
Can I use mesh tape for internals although they have previously been taped, or should I just run an internal trowel along them ?
Finally do I have to seal painted plasterboard walls for a skim coat or just move as quick as possible?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just get a plasterer. Plastering takes years to learn. It isn't just a case of painting the walls with mud using a metal paintbrush.

I'm a time served painter and have been ames taping for the last 6 years and have done a few plastering jobs therefore I know some plastering techniques, just looking for a bit of advice.

ignore joe, he could have a full blown fight in an empty room!

start and finish the ceiling first, then do opposite walls.

use pva to control suction/adhesion, two or more coats is essential.

use tape if any cracking has shown through the original plaster.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that.
Can I just ask, when finishing internals will I just wet the drier side with a brush and put a small bit of plaster to smooth.
The walls although they are plasterboard have been plastered, so will I need to seal them with pva also.
Thanks

i would use pva everywhere. regardless of substrate.

to control snot drag in the corners use a plasterers brush to flick water into the corner and to swipe the dry build up out of the angle. you then trowel the wall from the corner out.

if you do opposite walls first, you will not have the problem of a wet angle, like you would if you tried to do adjacent walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back