Hi jacked / split post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
gcol said:
Oh well it must be right then. :rolleyes: PVAing walls around a shower is a no no. It's more of an issue with smaller tiles I grant you, but the basic idea is that pva can be reactivated enough when wet to release it's bond. It creates a barrier to which the tile adhesive adheres to instead of the wall.

Hi gcol. What treatment if any would you recommend instead of using PVA? Obviously the finishing plaster has to be dry, but would you then treat it with something else or just tile straight on top of it with cement mortar?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
BTW that question to everyone. I've also heard that you can use an epoxy to attach the tiles to the plaster. This strikes me as a bit OTT, but if it works... All comments appreciated.

well im no pro but I hope the pro agree...... use BAL Prime ADP..... its top stuff and work harm where you put it...... I got some on my hands, and compared to pva.... it dont come off...

PVA good for wood, and adding to cement when mixing.... keep it out the bathroom...... spend a little on the ADP... and know you have done it right....

Also some real tilers only like to use cement based adhesive, for anyone who does not know what this is... its in a bag and mixed up just add water.... Bal single part is a favorite on here and the flexi one as well....

some pros will use tub stuff(ready mixed) but not many. (Leroy merlin is it in france?)
hope this helps

correct me if im talking shi*e
Darren

beinerts said:
Hi gcol. What treatment if any would you recommend instead of using PVA? Obviously the finishing plaster has to be dry, but would you then treat it with something else or just tile straight on top of it with cement mortar? Thanks...
If you're talking about a shower area, then you want to be using this http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=9005-102
PVA is ok for areas that don't get alot of water.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
beinerts said:
Hi gcol. What treatment if any would you recommend instead of using PVA? Obviously the finishing plaster has to be dry, but would you then treat it with something else or just tile straight on top of it with cement mortar? Thanks...
If you're talking about a shower area, then you want to be using this http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=9005-102
PVA is ok for areas that don't get alot of water.

Thanks, I'll get some in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back