Staircase Wall Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved into our current property 1 1/2 years ago, I noticed slight cracking on the wall at the bottom of the stairs. I filled it using a filler with a ploymer built into it. I was hoping that this would prevent any cracks from forming in the future.

Just to clear things up slightly.

The cracks are very thin and it is just the plaster that is affected. I did clean out the cracks to make an area to apply the filler, approximately 1/2 inch wide.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I've read this twice and I still can't work out what you are asking.

Joe the wall continues to crack, probably due to the fact this wall where the cracks are showing is at the bottom of the stairs.

Any advice of a filler or other method of preventing the cracks returning would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
not being able to see situation I would check.
#1 is bottom step secure or do's it move slightly where it meets the wall

#2 check to see if the bottom of wall is fastened securely

if one or both is not right then there might be movement every time you use the stairs creating stress on wall.

Are you saying the walls cracked..or where the strings on the stairs meet it?

The stairs finish and then 2-3 feet the crack begins. It is approx 1-2mm wide and the length is from the skirting boards up to the ceiling.

Would lining paper help resolve this or should I look at a filler? Advice on what type of filler would be handy if needed.

Additional : I had the whole area plastered last year after trying to fill in the cracks. Yet they are back, so movement is the key I would think.

Yep..it seems like you may have a movement issue here, you might want to ask in the building section.

Raking out the crack and filling it then lining over may be a solution..but could be a real hinderence if more work needs doing to the wall..is it plasterboard btw?...does the crack run in a dead straight line?

Yes it is plasterboard and it does run in a slightly straight line.

The house was built in 1989 and as fast as they could erect them, I was told.

I think I'll go the lining paper route so if you could give me an idea of a good flexible filler it might do the job. We are only planning on living here another year or so.

Thanks
Zampa

Sounds like a dickie joint then..could be a few reasons for it..but as your confident enough to hae a bash I would first stick some screws along either side of the crack..not next to each other though..stagger them...and then fill them...dont sink em in too far.

Be careful if you rake the joint out...you may cut through the tape thats there which helps hold the joint together..

I would leave the joint...stick a strip of paper tape over it with wallpaper adhesive or ready mixed stuff fill over it and feather it into the wall...

Then line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back