Grouting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help,

probably a really simple and straight forward question to you guys. Ive never grouted before and i have just finished putting up my tiles. What is the best way to grout without rubbing all the skin off the end of your index finger!!!! :oops:

Cheers!

Dale

Sponsored Links
apply the grout to the tiles and work into the joints with a grouting float. mix the grout like butter in a warm room, not so runny as it will dribble down the wall and not so stiff as to be un-workable.

by the time you have done maybe a second wall it will be time to check the first application. if it feels firm to the touch, it's probably time to sponge up.

3/4 fill a bucket with nice warm water. get a jumbo car sponge and dip it in the water and wring out. start and clean the surface grout off the tiles. if the joints start dragging out, leave it a little longer.

you can control the joint grout depth by how aggressively you clean off the grout. two passes over the tiles will remove most of the surface grout. change the water if it gets too cloudy.

you will be able to buff the tiles with a dry rag but only once the grout has fully set. next day is usually best.

The first answer is bang on correct. All you need to do.

"would like to know how you were going to do it, wearing finger down" :LOL:

Just follow the way explained and you should have no problem. Dont be shy with the amounts you put on, and work it in well.

Somebody showed me "grouting" by applying the grout to his finger and rubbing it in between the tiles. As you can imagine his finger ended up very sore but he said this is common. I thought i would ask a few other before i tried his method!!!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back