SWA Cable connecting to normal flex via junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not electrical minded I am ony ask on behalf of someone without computer access.

As the title say we need to connect the SWA cable to normal flex & plus via junction box so the power runs through (as you can't put a plug on SWA)

SWA cable has 3 wires : Brown, Black & Grey
Flex: Brown, Blue and Gwn/Yw

I've tried to look up the wire colours on the computer but have got confused looking at the new regulations colours etc

We understand the colour on the normal flex (Live, Neutral & Earth) but what are they on the SWA? (we have earthed the SWA cable using the correct Glands)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you entirely sure you know what you are doing? I take it by using SWA it is going underground outside? Are you aware of part P of the building regs? I don't mean to put you down, just that if not done correctly, this can be very dangerous.

SWA-Junction box-Flex-Plug
something doesnt sound right, can you explain more what you are doing and why?

It's not me doing it I'm just writing the text.

Yes - it is going outside underground it is for a pond filter/pump going into switchbox.

Part P: Yes, they will be notifying the relevant people before any works are done.

The person doing the electrics are very competent, but has not worked with the SWA cable for along time and would rather check things are correct before going ahead with anything.

Sponsored Links
It is sounding similar to one of those armadillo kits.
The colour scheme which has been adopted by most is:
Brown - Phase
Black with green+yellow sleeve - Earth
Grey with blue sleeve - Neutral.
As you say, the armour of the cable must also be connected to earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back