Roofing costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me a "ballpark" cost for a replacement slate roof for a terrace house in the west midlands. the area is approx 12m by 16m

Sponsored Links
Slate tiles approx £15-£20 per m2 + material & labour costs.

Best to get a few quotes...........

Did you manage to get a cost for the roof - I'd be grateful if you could give me ballpark figures

doubt if you will get a reply from Tony01 he posted that on 5th dec and has never been back (look under his name and it shows only 1 post, which you were looking at)

But back to your question, it depends on where you live, London costing more, why not get several quotes its the best way

Sponsored Links
Yes the cost for a 12m x 16m roof area costs £3840. This is for slate only.
If new timber is required I should add another £1200.
These costs include labour but exclude VAT.
Tony

nice of you to reply tony01

the following is not to be taken personally, as i do not know you

but to be honest your information can not be used even as a guide since.

1) when was the job done, your origonal enquiry was 6 months ago, is that the price then or now?

2) you said I should add another £1200 that may be what you paid but how would you know how much work is involved others may have to pay more or less

3)As i posted to Nicola, so i will have to post to you, Nicola is unlikely to reply (maybe again in 6 months, like you) since it was her only post.

my whole point is i say we should not ask or give "guestimates" or quotes on this site.

reasons are:

1) when was quote given (post may be old)

2) how acurate is quote (i knew some one who would change his quote acorrding to how much he thought you would pay)

3) is quote "like for like" not SIMILAR

4) prices vary across the country so making quote no use.

5) there may be other unforseen problems, access to site for example (not visible on a forum)

so in conclusion anyone,

if you want a quote or idea of a price, get several quotes your self , dont ask here, for the above reasons

Tony's original posting was asking for a " ballpark cost " and to this end any similar quote for the area stated is going to be useful to someone who wants that kind of work done. I know that there are lots of variants that can affect quotes but someone who has no idea of a price to start with could have thought 10-15k was the going rate for a 4k job. If the general public can be advised on a forum like this of a " ballpark cost " then it helps prevent the wool being pulled over their eyes by the masses of unskilled cowboy tradesmen that prey on the uneducated (construction wise) and especially the elderly and give a bad name to the rest of the decent contractors. Obviously the simple solution is to obtain several quotes as mentioned earlier but if a rough estimate is all someone wants then they will treat it as such and not be surprised if it differs due to the aforementioned reasons.

dont you believe it. ball park suddenly changes to .....well on this forum it said it should only cost..............

Masona, you referred to slate tiles - which material do you mean, slate or tile?
You also referred to costs/m then added labor and materials - could you break it down?
This is not criticism, i simply want to know!
thanks

No problem,

When I built my summerhouse last year, I made a lot of enquiry regarding difference type of light roofing tiles as I didn't want heavy tiles.

£15 to £20 per m2 was for slate tiles only then you need to add roofing felt & batten materials etc plus labour which I can't give as it varies in difference area.

The slate tiles I was looking was not even made of slate and can't tell the difference, I think it made of some sort of hard plastic material.

I decided to go for metal tiles effect sheeting instead.

if you ask masona nicely he will post a picture. it actually did look nice

log.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back