Worx. Any good for the DIY'er?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the look out for a new cordless drill/driver. Not got much cash to play with - £50-70ish. It would be mainly used for light/moderate drilling in wood and screwdriving. That price would have to include a second battery as some of the spare ones I've seen would break my budget if I were to get one separately.

I've seen a Worx 18v drill in Argos that looks ok for my level. 2 gears, 2 batteries etc. Not used any Worx stuff before so was wondering if anyone else had/knew someone who had.

Says in 'manly' letters on the drill that it's made for 'pro's'. Waste of ink?? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
For that price get a ryobi 18v (lots on fleabay), or screwfix were doing bosch 14v for about 70ish recently. Worx may be ok but for the same price you can get either of the above, so no point really.

My local b&q (Croydon) are doing 15% off all tools until like tomorrow or sunday. Don't know if its nationwide offer though.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
do you want one with hammer as well?

Always been a tad dubious of battery hammer drills. I've got an SDS that I find great for any masonry work.

Was looking for something in the 14.4 - 18v range, so the Ryobis on fleabay sounds a fair punt.

Cheers.

in that case look on screwfix. theyre doing a makita on offer at the moment around your price range with a full drill set as well thrown in

Unless you go for good money, battery hammer tends to be poor. I have a Bosch 12V with Hammer and it's next to useless, nearly always end up going and getting my SDS out for the job.

gave worx a go, (circular saw 18v), but it died after 4 months.

only buy if you can spare the lunchbreaks going back to the store.

i find bosch the best as they are very well designed and on the rare occasion I had to open one up, it was easy to fix,

b.

Worx are like a lot of those Mickey Mouse brands out there...they come and go

Look out for the 'hard' sounding names like....

'Mac' (anything)

'Max' 'power' 'xtreeem'

TorsionMuscleGrit

And the meaniningless letters....

XP Power

GRX

HLXi

Most are crap...I bought a 18 volt drill from Screwfix what they didnt say was once the 18 volts had been used up thats your lot!!!

It wasnt cheap either...it was nearly 18 quid :rolleyes:

Mad, impetuous youth wot I be, I went and got the Worx drill in the end. Dear old mama wanted to get me summit for doing wee jobs around the place so who was i to argue?

Does feel a tad on the plasticy side and the 'PowerTank' (rhyming slang??)batteries do leave a bit to be desired and all the tough looking stickers that declare it 'built for pros' have mostly come off...... :oops:

......but; so far, so good.

I guess, looking back, I should have gone with the less 'mucho-macho-grande-testiculos' sounding tools at a similar price, but there I was, in Argos, with mothers money all lined up and ready to burn....

Hey ho... :rolleyes:

Cheers all. :D

Hi

can add to this - i do a lot of very heavy diy, i have a full set of worx 18v tools, and they are still going dtrong after 2 years, the 18v hammer gets used several times a week , for everything from drilling to screwing .

The only worx tool i have ever broken is the reciprocating saw, ( using a bit too much force i sheared off the retaining pin, - sent it off to the importers for repair, 5 days later, a new one turned up in the post.

Battery life is fair, but a replacement battery is expensive. find that its a good idea to pick up tools in the homebase/argos sale to get the batteries if they are less than £40 as thats the price of each battery - otherwise try ebay

Thermo said:
in that case look on screwfix. theyre doing a makita on offer at the moment around your price range with a full drill set as well thrown in

I've seen these in B&Q for less than a ton. They are good too - I've had one for a few months. Nice and light.

wanabechippie said:
Thermo said:
Was looking for something in the 14.4 - 18v range, so the Ryobis on fleabay sounds a fair punt.

Cheers.

I got a Pair of Ryobi's One+ on advice of a mate Who is a first class builder [he said there a bit DIY'er ish, but good sound value, and towards the top for general/moderate work]. Batteries are easy to get and only about £30. If you get a set (around £100) you'll get two tools, 2 batteries and the charger. try www.ryobitools.co.uk

personnally I've found them excellant, would recommend to anyone. And Ryobi's Customer service is the best I've seen of any company, in an industry! Personally, I think they're the mutts nuts - but would be interested to hear any different.

i have loads of ryobi as my back up kit
i rate it as diy light to medium trade there stuff is well thought out well made feels good and in general looks good ;)

i have 18v dewalt and 24v bosch as my main kit
i would say the ryobi will do 90% of what the dewalt will do and probably 90% of the bosch pro rata[if you reduced the 24v down to 18v to make it equal]

I was given a Worx hammer Drill for my birthday, it has hardly been used as it is a big numb thing. Any way i recently did try to use it but the trigger is duff, I contacted Worx who told me the trigger is not replaceable.End of drill. Needless to say it will NOT be replaced with a Worx lump of trash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back