leather jackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know anything about them? I moved into a new house in Feb 06 and i noticed that everyones lawns in the area look terrible, and have recently found out thet i have these ridiculous bugs called leather jackets from daddylong legs laying their eggs. How do i get rid of them? Have been told that i can get some stuff to put down on the lawn but is it really worth it if the whole estate is covered in them? If i dont get rid of them what will happen?

Sponsored Links
They will hatch out into daddy-long-legs. They are more common on neglected grassland. The grubs eat grass roots.

Keep the grass cut short, and starlings will dig them out for you and eat them.

In wet weather they will come to the surface to avoid being drowned.

If you lie black plastic over the grass at night, they will still be on the surface in the morning (thinking it's dark), if you then pull the plastic away the birds will eat them for you.

If you do this to a section of lawn each morning, the birds will get to know there's food about, and will sit waiting for you.

Thanks for that. Well black bags it is then. I have noticed alot of starlings pecking my grass lately and presumed this was what they were after.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back