Vauxhall Vivaro 1.9TD cutting out fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of anything I could look at for this fault.
when driving and dip clutch to change gear when approaching a junction the engine does not idle but cuts out, the first light to light is the glo plug lamp. Usually worse when cold but not only when cold. Happens if you dip clutch to see if faulty when coming up to a junction. This gives me time to jump start as normally very hard to start when cut out. Havn't a clue what to do.

Sponsored Links
When was the fuel filter last changed, just a thought. did YOU do it yourself? (starting at the bottom) what year?

Its a 52 plate with 160k on clock, came from a local firm who had it serviced by good friend of mine, full service history from him since new. He is checking his records but assures me all filters replaced as recommended. Is it worth just changing this to rule out?

Its a 52 plate with 160k on clock, came from a local firm who had it serviced by good friend of mine, full service history from him since new. He is checking his records but assures me all filters replaced as recommended. Is it worth just changing this to rule out?

Sponsored Links
sorry to stop you there JC, but what you really need to do is go and see your good friend, if he has serviced it all it's life, nobody knows the vehicle better, maybe the driver, i imagine he would have a good idea of the way things are on the van. ie, has this happened on other vehicles?

already booked in, thanks for all the replies, apparently its not happened to this van before and he hasn't heard of any common probs like this

thanks for that, will pass on to my mechanic.

I had same problem with mine. Eventually discovered it was flywheel/speed sensor that was contaminated with oil, took out and cleaned with carb cleaner, drives fine now. It's located at the front right at the bottom of engine/gearbox with 10mm bolt.

Thanks, will give that a go. hasn,t done it for ages and then yesterday reared its ugly head again. Mass air flow sensor still not replaced as fault went away. Will try your suggestion first as seems easier than a replacement part. Thanks again for taking trouble to reply to such an old post. Will let you know.

spoke too soon - did it again yesterday but this time the connectors inside the black plastic plug that pushes onto sensor were loose-has had new gearbox in before I bought van so could have been disturbed then. Might be worth checking them when you take sensor out. This may have been the fault in the first place. I'm hoping it's cured now - can be very frustrating - will see what happens.

I’ve had something similar but was not as bad. On cutting back the throttle after a long full-throttle uphill drag, the gloplug alarm light came on and the power was severely limited. A 10 minute stop to let everything cool a bit let everything re-set and it went away fine. It’s done it a couple of times since, but easing the throttle back gently, rather than a sudden cut back, seems to stop it happening again. I asked the dealer at the next service and the mechanic reckoned the Low Pressure Fuel Pump at the tank was on its way out, he also found metal fragments when he changed the fuel filter. I’m fitting some seats to the back so I need to drop the tank anyway so I’ll probably change the LP pump while the tank’s down. Does anyone have any drawings or information on how to drop the tank? I used to rely pretty heavily on the likes of Hayne’s manuals with my other vehicles but I’ve not seen anything similar for a Vivaro, If anyone knows where I can get hold of the Technical Literature for the Vivaro it would help me out a lot.

My mechanic went down the road of LP pump when he had a look, but didn,t fee convinced enough with his diagnosis to risk the work. Funny you mentioned the glow plug as this is the first indication of what is about to happen, as soon as clutch dipped, light n and you have a second to re-engage and keep revs up. Havn't tried fywheel sensor yet as been on nights.

Doesn't seem to have worked unfortunately , started playing up again. Damn thing's doing my head in now. Vauxhall didnt seem to know either , even diagnostic machine not forced to pick up the fault unless it does it when testing they said. Might change van if can't find problem soon but not giving up just yet !

Sponsored Links
Back