Cooker hood on 2.5mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have a fused connection unit, which I presume spurs from the ring main, because it is connected to a single T&E cable and when I remove the 30amp fuse which I know protects the ring, the supply stops.

Before plastering, I ran a 2.5mm T&E from this FCU (vertically, then horizontally) so I could then connect a flex outlet and then a cooker hood. I now know I should have used 1.0mm T&E, but have heard that using larger cable is safer than using too small a cable.

Does anybody forsee problems using 2.5mm between the FCU and the flex outlet, and a 3A fuse in the FCU?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
exeter said:
I ran a 2.5mm T&E from this FCU (vertically, then horizontally)

No problem with 2.5 from your FCU to your cooker hood, What does concern me is the vertically and horizontally bit in your thread. Are you aware of Safe Zones?

No that's fine, most would do the same.

The majority of all socket based ring circuits and spurs are always in 2.5TE

With smaller cable you are saving pennies and loosing the ability to increase the load on the spur device, should something heavty ever replace the current hood.

Kitchen electrics are notifiable under Part P as a special area.

thanks for your replies - I know you're not allowed to embed cable diagonallly and within 150mm of the edge of a wall, shoiuld I have run it horizontally, then vertically?

Sponsored Links
Draw us a picture of where you have placed your cables and we will tell you if its ok.
I would post you a picture of the safe zones but I dont have one to hand however no doubt someone will be along in a bit to post one.

I routed the cable vertically from the FCU a couple of feet and then horizontally, at a right angle, a couple of feet, in line with the flex outlet. So the flex outlet is on a diagonal line from the FCU, but the cable is routed at a right angle.

If this is wrong, how does one route the cable from an fcu to a flex outlet that is not in the vertical above it? Use metal conduit?

that's fine..

you can go horizontally or vertically from an accessory..

which is exactly what you have done.

OP

the only thing i would say is,keep an eye on how you join the flex to the 2.5 twin and earth,check that the flex doesnt come apart from te connections,double the ends over.

EDIT:

just re read your post and your using a flex outlet plate,so no probs there either.

mrspiers,you havent given us any information regarding the load of said oven or how you intend to run the cable,or anything for that matter.
might be a good idea to start your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back