connectinng timber joists to steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone used these before http://www.strongtie.co.uk/pdf/JHA.pdf

the below support model

i have an steel beam running across the kitchen, on top of the beam runs the brick wall so i can sit the joists on it but would prefer them to be lower than the beam so that the floor level will be lower in the new room above. This mean i can knock through from the landing without worrying about steps into etc. Just wondered if anyone had used them, the pic looks simple enough, although it implies sitting one piece of timber in the flange and one above. i would prefer something that wrapped around the beam. any ideas or thoughts.

Obviously will run it by the inspector first. do you have to bolt the timber to the beam or bolt the tie to the beam and steel?

Sponsored Links
You can either put your joists directly into the flange or sit them on abit of timber first or bolt timber into the RSJ then use joist hangers.

PS couldn't get your pic up so i'm repling on what you've said btw. But when converting an loft you have that option regarding the steels/joists.

markie said:
You can either put your joists directly into the flange or sit them on abit of timber first or bolt timber into the RSJ then use joist hangers.

PS couldn't get your pic up so i'm repling on what you've said btw. But when converting an loft you have that option regarding the steels/joists.

...yeah markie good answer, but the poster wants to offset the joists lower than the steel beam. :confused: :?:

noseall said:
markie said:

...yeah markie good answer, but the poster wants to offset the joists lower than the steel beam. :confused: :?:

Like i said I couldn't get the op link, If thats the case all he needs to do is get bigger ceiling joists and notch where the flange is, so it's lower than the steel beam. or bolt timber into the web of the steel and use joist hangers, which you can hang the joist lower than the bottom of the steel.

Sponsored Links
the first one is what i had in mind - although i wondered if there were any that wrapped around the steel for greater strength.

the second shot-fired looks sturdier but will leave the joist higher than id like.

out.php

any thoughts?

Wrapping a speedy hanger up and over a steel beam is not giving you any more strength

Consider your second image, work out how far down the hangers need to be, then measure the distance from the top of the bottom flange to the underside of your hanger.

Then fix a length of timber of this depth into the flange - hilti nail every 500mm or m10 bolts every 700mm

Then nail your hangers on this.

You could just do as per your first image, but the method above saves time and effort in leveling the hangers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back