Overflowing cistern into toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,first post here and a bit nervous about any plumbing type jobs! :eek:
We have a centre top push button toilet,just noticed that it overflows down centre pillar flush into the toilet itself,i've tried pulling up the ballcock lever but does not seem to stop the flow of water coming into the 'internal syphon' is it? Do i need to replace this and if so where can i buy one please,i have looked but really confused now! Thanks in advance. ;)

Sponsored Links
There should be some sort of float you can adjust by turning a threaded plastic rod-hard to tell without seeing it-can you post a pic?

it will be the ballcock. If new, and it does not stop the flow when fully lifted, it may have a bit of grit or scale in it. You can take it apart and wash it out. Or fit a new one - they only cost a few pounds. A "Torbeck" valve is very quiet in use and slightly dearer. They have a delay of about 10 seconds between being fully lifted and cutting off the flow (this is part of the design).

JohnD said:
it will be the ballcock. If new, and it does not stop the flow when fully lifted, it may have a bit of grit or scale in it. You can take it apart and wash it out. Or fit a new one - they only cost a few pounds. A "Torbeck" valve is very quiet in use and slightly dearer. They have a delay of about 10 seconds between being fully lifted and cutting off the flow (this is part of the design).

Didnt think it would have a ballcock john with him saying a centre top push button but I know he mentioned ballcock-so dunno.

Sponsored Links
Ok-not very clear but on the black part where you say you tried lifting the arm,there is a seperate float below it on the same post but lower-cant see from the pic but there is usually a threaded bar or it may just click down but the bottom float needs to be a bit lower to stop it overflowing,thats the best I can tell you without being there! :)

Had a fiddle with it :eek: can't seem to stop it overflowing still,does this pic help more? The float gets to top but does not stop flow.

DSCF0778.jpg

hi you can try taking the blue(sypon)unit out (put hand on it and turn anticlockwise and pull)when out place in bucket of boiling water for 5 mins replace in reverse order that should work let us no how u got on it could save u buing a sypon

The valve looks like a 'fluidmaster'

Turn off th supply to the cistern and press down gentlyon the black cap at the top of the valve whilst turning a quarter anti-clockwise. The top should then come off and you can clean the valve out.

Yes,it is a fluidmaster,just got it off and found some grit in the seal at the top,gave it a good flush out and clean and now works perfectly! :D
Thanks to all of you that gave advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back