Silicone seal around double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had double glazing fitted a couple of years ago but the silicone seal between the window frame and the inside wall has now come away from both surfaces in the corners and gaps of a couple of mm on each side of it are present. The silicone is basically not attached to anything in these areas. On the outside, the frame has pushed outwards slightly so the silicone peels back in the corners, especially in summer. Can I remove the silicone and re-seal it with something from a DIY store?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, you just need to remove the old silicone, cut it away with a sharp stanley knife, also to help you get hold of it and pull it off use long nose pliers to help you grip it. It depends on how much the silicone has degraded, it can be quite tough to remove neatly but it just takes a bit of patience. Then once you've removed it all, apply fresh silicone with a silicone gun and smooth and press your bead of silicone with a wet finger.

I'd wait for a good few dry days though first, you want any moisture that's in the to get dried out nicely and you want to apply the new stuff when it's nice and dry too.

Hi

Thanks so much for helping me out. I'll have a go when the weather gets better!

Pam

Sponsored Links
Use low modulus silicone on the outside but on the inside, use a flexible decorators caulk otherwise emulsion paint or wall paper will never stick to it when you come to decorate. If the frame has moved & it's only 2 years old I would call the company that installed it back as it doesn't sound as if the window has been properly installed; hopefully they didn't just stick it in the wall with silicone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back