Outside light from spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run an outside light from a spur coming of an electrical socket. Can I do this and what cable would I need for the spur?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do this as long as your new extension doesn't put too much on to the circuits Earth fault loop.

If the ring is run in 2.5mm twin and earth then your spur should be in the same size cable to a suitable FCU,from there,depending on the power the new light is pulling you can run a smaller cable as long as the fuse in the FCU protects it i.e...

If your new light is 1000w then 2.5mm should be run to the FCU, from the FCU you can run either 1mm or 1.5mm cable ( for ease of terminating in new light fitting) to the new fitting and a suitable 5amp fuse placed in the FCU.

Thanks for that. What sort of FCU would you reccommend and where should I locate it. I was planning to run the spur from a socket that is on the inside of the outside wall where the light is to be placed. Should I run the spur to the FCU on the inside and then run the cable from the FCU outside to the light?

have the FCU inside the house.

It will then be out of the rain and you will not need to buy an expensive weatherproof one. Fit a 3A fuse cartidge.

Put the FCU next to, or above, the socket that it spurs from. make a neat permanent label saying "outside lights spur, 3A"

Sponsored Links
festa said:
1000w.........5amp fuse

When I had a security lighting circuit running 1000W off a type 1 5A breaker, it kept tripping.poo poo farts

securespark said:
festa said:
1000w.........5amp fuse

When I had a security lighting circuit running 1000W off a type 1 5A breaker, it kept tripping.poo poo farts

I must apologise....my 7 yo has just hijacked this post and written a load of juvenile toilet words.... something I'd never do...;)

What I meant to say was....

When I had a security lighting circuit running 1000W off a type 1 5A breaker, it kept tripping. I had to downgrade the load to 6/800W.

I was thinking of doing this but the light site is round the corner from the socket. Can I run the cable round outside at the top of the wall or do I need to chase it all the way up the inside and along the top of the wall to the middle of the patio doors and out? For the outside option I was wondering if I could run the cable 1.5m up the wall then inside again for the switch and then up from there?

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back