Install toilet syphon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the syphon on my toilet. Bought exactly the same one so know it is the correct type. I took out the old one and am trying to fit the new one but it just refuses to go it the hole. Tried hammering it in but don't want to break it. Any tips on how to install.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am replacing the syphon on my toilet. Bought exactly the same one so know it is the correct type.

Ok good ;)

trying to fit the new one but it just refuses to go it the hole.

Now not so good :rolleyes:

Tried hammering it in but don't want to break it.

Getting worse :eek:

Any tips on how to install.

Yes, Put the hammer away, now get the corrct syphon in the morning ;)

Have you compared the outlets, your new one seems larger.

Will it not work in using a screwing motion.....OOPS :oops:

Sponsored Links
the new ones all deformed out of shape where it's been hammered.

I have compared them and they are definitely the same. The old one took a bit of effort to get out because it's supposed to be tight isn't it? I had to break it up to get out! Maybe the wrong one was in to start with

The new ones not out of shape at all. Maybe I need to hammer harder! It doesn't screw in as there is not enough space in the cistern to rotate it.

can you post some photos?

Youve got the cistern out, and removed the rubber washer?

The syphon is a shires twinflow syphon. There is one for sale on e-bay if you want to look at it.

I've got the thing in most of the way now. The rubber washer is in place but there is about 1/4 inch left to get in so the cistern won't leak. I think I just need to give it a good wack!

You don't by chance mean you are trying to put the donut into the bottom of the cistern instead of on the outside??

Dave,

I don't quite understand what you mean. The syphon is one part - it doesn't separate so I am unsure about what you mean by the donut

here's your ebay photo, but I'd be interested to see a pic of how you're fitting it into your cistern. Especially as the advertiser says

"No need to dismantle cystern.
Can be serviced in 5 mins"

564b_1.JPG

I've taken a picture of the cistern but have no idea how to up load it - I'm a bit of a technophobe! I think the problem is that the syphon should be screwed in but I can't be physically srewed in because there is not enough room to rotate it in the cistern. I think I will give up and call a plumber!

Syphon should just push into hole in bottom of cistern, with a thin rubber seal, or silicone, between it and the cistern, this is then held in place by the large plastic nut that is screwed up under the cistern, after the metal 'bolt holder' if it is a close coupled cistern and pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back