Trade versus Popular Brand Paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually get a professional to do my major decorating jobs, but have the impression that the trade paints, particularly washable emulsions, are not as good as the major branded paints from the DIY stores. Can anyone comment on this? Is it better to buy the paint myself? :confused:

Sponsored Links
as long as he isn't buying Bloggins Mountain Brand paint down the market, but a major UK brand, it will probably be as good or better. They are usually formulated to be faster to apply but need more skill.

JohnD said:
as long as he isn't buying Bloggins Mountain Brand paint down the market, but a major UK brand, it will probably be as good or better. They are usually formulated to be faster to apply but need more skill.

Okay ... so ... on that basis and bearing in mind that I am (a) not an expert and (b) want to get some decent emulsion from B&Q or Focus ( both nearby) ........... which branded or own-brand emulsion would you advise I go for?

Sponsored Links
Dulux or Crown... dont bother with the home brand stuff..

The paint from trade centres is far superior though

Thanks guys - some interesting comments, although I didn't understand Breezer's reply to a serious question.

I must say I am surprised by the strong view that Trade paint is better than branded. My daughter just had a job done with a paint that was supposed to be washable but turned out not to be as good as the Dulux she had used herself on another job. The painter is a very conciencious type so I wouldn't have expected him to use crap paint. Maybe she's not comparing like with like.

there are of course different opinions, but I suspect that Trade paints have to be biased towards doing a fast job (time is money) in skilled hands.

An amateur like me is very slow (but sometimes willing to take a lot more trouble, as I'm working on my own home).

Interesting stuff ... I used to be a trade Artexer and often got to see trade decorators working in new properties. The speed was amazing sometimes. They could do a house in the time it takes me to decorate one room at home :)

Anyway ... I will ignore the own-brand stuff and go for Duluxe or Crown. The own-brand is SO cheap sometimes that it is so tempting :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back