Cutting hole in stainless steel sink

rcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
What is the best way to cut a hole in a SS sink for the tap? I've seen hole cutters which use a shear action and a through bolt but don't know what they're called.
Many Thanks
rcs

Sponsored Links
sheet metal hole punch?

But be aware that stainless steel is very hard so make sure the tool you buy is not sold "for mild steel and brass" which are easier to work.

ikea sell one - i think its called 'fixa'. it took us three hole cutters and 2 sinks to finally cut a hole through the sink though. very hard work.

Brand new bi metal holesaw with cutting paste/oil, battery drill and off you go.
I thought it would take ages but was done in a matter of minutes.
Watch the sharp edges.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Don't know if q-max will cut stainless but will try and let you know.
Cheers
rcs

Qmax will cut stainless steel sinks. I have used them to install the small filtered water type taps on several occassions.

The Q-Max will only cut SS if they are in very good condition and its best to lubricate the cutting part and the thread.

Its possible to buy TC tipped metal drills which are fine for SS and c.i.. These are NOT masonry drills!!!

I have not tried it but a diamond bur in a Dremmel style drill should work and could be used to make non circular holes too.

Tony

The Q-Max will only cut SS if they are in very good condition and its best to lubricate the cutting part and the thread.

I had assumed the OP would be buying a new cutter so should be in good condition, no?

Good tip about the lubrication though - cheers, Tony.

em_on_bread said:
ikea sell one - i think its called 'fixa'. it took us three hole cutters and 2 sinks to finally cut a hole through the sink though. very hard work.

been there took me nearly an hour :evil: :evil: customer said he'd cut the utility one out said it took him 30 mins with a ratchet.. i thought get on with it :D

Being a Saturday and all the good tool stores closed, I decided to use the Dremel option which worked with no problems. Tap now fitted and Wife off my case, lol!
rcs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back