Pipe to Value coupling (female) rusted - how to clean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting new carpets laid down next month - and want to fix one particular radiator first.

At the locksheild value (water exit) of this radiator, the coupling is leaking and has rusty water drips down on the pipe. I've disconnected the radiator from the wall and will soon flush all radiators AND use a Central Heating System's cleaning solution, thence a Anti-Corrision liquid at the end.

However the screw threads of this coupling's female nut has rusted. Its affixed to the pipe with a 'kink' at the top of the pipe to stop the nut from coming off. In other words, I can't get this nut off to clean the threads OR to replace it.

Is there a way I can clean it easily? Any quick-remove rust solution to brush it into the nut? Or is it a job for the plumber to cut & replace the coupling?

hope you could help.
- Andrew

Sponsored Links
Whilst I don't pretend to understand the question, I can say that the "female nuts thread" is probably not what is causing the leak.

If the radiator is drained you can:-

1) Use a bit more force to undo whatever connection you are talking about
2) Cut through any connections, they'll definitely come off then
3) Replace the whole radiator

thanks for your reply. Let me explain a bit further.

The radiator is already taken off. The locksheild & handwheel values are also off. What is left - is the two pipes coming up from the floor. At top of these two pipes, a connector nut each. In other words, half of the coupling. This is the 'female' part I'm talking about.
- Now, one of them was leaking due to a poor seal. When I drained the central heating system, I checked the water being flown out - it was clean. So the 'leaky rust' was simply a reaction to the leak coming from the poor seal at one of these couplings.
- Because of the rust, if you look inside the nut - the screwed threads have already rusted a bit. How do I clean this, this is my question?!
(To avoid having to call a plumber to come and cut the pipe off, attach a new pipe just to change the female connector - worth only £1 or so!)
- The other part, the male connector of this coupling at the bottom of the locksheild value, is easy to clean - with a wire brush. However the female connector has the pipe through it, I can't use a wire brush - hence my original query.

change the whole valve since the system is drained down

only need a couple of spanners

Sponsored Links
auslan said:
Because of the rust, if you look inside the nut - the screwed threads have already rusted a bit.
I doubt it - the nut is likely to br brass.

How do I clean this, this is my question?!
Don't bother - just clean the olive and the mating face of the valve, wrap 3-4 turns of PTFE around the mating face of the olive, and reconnect.

If you think it's unlikely to seal, then buy an olive cutter and replace the nut and olive.

thanks to Softus for that reply. Until now, I didn't know what an olive is - in terms of plumbing / piping. I was in the hardware shop this afternoon and took a quick look at the Plumbing section.

Ah! I thought that the 'kink' at the top of the pipe was done in place by a plumber using heat gun or whatever. It was actually & simply an olive that can be removed without damaging the pipe. Since I wanted to replace the nut rather than having to clean it, I've cut the olive off (very carefully using a hacksaw, didn't cut the pipe at all).

From the hardware shop, I now understand that these female connectors are made of brass. It was nevertheless worn out / corroded due to previous tenants / plumbers' efforts. Also the internal thread was not in a good condition.

Many thanks - I can easily fix this tomorrow - with a new brass connector & new olive.

- Andrew

You're welcome.

If you're replacing the nut (aka female connector ;)), then be aware that there are different threads around, so not just any nut will do.

Also, if it were me, I'd replace the whole valve now, rather than refit an old one.

breezer said:
which is what i said 5 hours ago :LOL:
Well if you'd helped the OP get the nut off, instead of just laughing-out-louding, it might have been resolved more quickly.

And let's be sure about one thing breezer - you ain't no plumber. :rolleyes:

breezer, just a note to say that you merely stated 'replace old value'. You didn't mention the olive, or how to change the coupling.

In fact, it was the coupling (female connector & olive) that I'm replacing. The values (locksheild & handwheel) are left intact. Definitely not replaced as they're OK.

In any case, thanks to everyone who helped in various ways. That's why I asked in DIYnot before resorting to a plumber just to replace that cheap nut!

- Andrew

Good luck with tryning to buy a new nut and olive alone. You may have to buy a chrome plated stop end, or similar.
If you can't get one, wait until a friendly looking plumber approaches the shop - we all have spares left over!

17648.gif

Quick addendum - why I figured that the values are OK, is simply that the house is only 7 years old, thus the same age for the CHS. If I replace these 2 values, then I ought to replace other values of radiators I'm taking off to flush with a hose?!!

Don't fancy that extra expense, but just wondering why its worth replacing a value each time one replaces a coupling? The value's male thread is OK where it used to 'mate' with that female bit I've knocked off. (just can't resist saying that aloud).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back