galvanised windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in the past, calcium plumbate primers, a mordant solution or zinc phosphate primers have been used before decoration with oil paints. What is now normally specified and used - any advice would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Thought they were for New galv. :confused: you haven`t got new Crittals ,have you.....how do they comply with part x of the "save the planet" energy conservation document :rolleyes: :LOL:

Nige F said:
Thought they were for New galv. :confused: you haven`t got new Crittals ,have you.....how do they comply with part x of the "save the planet" energy conservation document :rolleyes: :LOL:

Presscotts fked off now nige does it still apply :LOL:

Sponsored Links
All ov ze rules vill apply und more too kum..glad you said zinsser..I :idea: that too ;)

there is an etch primer called t-wash you paint it on and leave it to cure for 24 hours and under coat and gloss over it then

try temabond wg200 we are useing this now on old gal handrais for the department of transport and it is specified.
call protega coatings you could also used (temaprime mph.457)
phone PROTEGA COATINGS 0121 525 5665 THEY ARE COSTLY PAINTS
but do the job
by the way t.wash is not paint it is a acid and is not as good as they make out

When I did my crittals about 7 years ago, I stripped them back to metal and applied two coats of gloss straight on.

There were perfectly fine up untill a year ago when I had them ripped out and replaced with upvc.

There were only one or two areas that were problematical in terms of the paint coming off and this was where the opening casements met the frame and on the puttied areas. Other than that they still looked good so I'd say don't bother with mordant solutions or t washes.

Colin_p said:
When I did my crittals about 7 years ago, I stripped them back to metal and applied two coats of gloss straight on.

There were perfectly fine up untill a year ago when I had them ripped out and replaced with upvc.

There were only one or two areas that were problematical in terms of the paint coming off and this was where the opening casements met the frame and on the puttied areas. Other than that they still looked good so I'd say don't bother with mordant solutions or t washes.

You were soo lucky there colin.. I encounter quite a few jobs where galvanised objects such as crittals, garage doors etc have'nt been primed right. The worst being wrought gates/ railings where people have put 'Hammerite' ( :eek: ) strait onto galvanised. 2yrs later its all puckered up (salts) and flaking. Mordant solution is so easy but you have to coat over it before 24 hrs, Tried, tested and trusted by myself for more than 30 yrs. (oh dear should say 40 yrs now :cry: )

confidentincompetent said:
Colin_p said:

You were soo lucky there colin.. I encounter quite a few jobs where galvanised objects such as crittals, garage doors etc have'nt been primed right. The worst being wrought gates/ railings where people have put 'Hammerite' ( :eek: ) strait onto galvanised. 2yrs later its all puckered up (salts) and flaking. Mordant solution is so easy but you have to coat over it before 24 hrs, Tried, tested and trusted by myself for more than 30 yrs. (oh dear should say 40 yrs now :cry: )

Totally agree, my windows were about 50 years old and in a right state before I attacked them and the galv could have been considered weathered.

As for hammerite, 'orrible stuff, drips and sags very easily and what is it with the price of the thinners !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back