B&Q fitting service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a job a few weeks ago for a customer who was having a bathroom fitted and the fitter would be turning up mid way through my job.

Was chatting to the customer while having a tea break and they mentioned that they were paying £3,500 to have this bathroom fitted by B7Q. Not £3,500 for the suite, flooring, tiles and fitting but £3,500 just to have it fitted! Well I nearly passed out. £3,500!!!

It wasn't even a big bathroom. In fact it was relatively small. About 2.1x 1.9m.

Anyway, fitter turns up. No B&Q van, no B&Q uniform, just a little guy in his own little van. Now I wouldn't expect B&Q to actually employ their own team of fitters but you'd at least expect them to hand out polo shirts and possibly van signage.

Got chatting to him later in the week. He gets paid £1,800 for the fit. Out of that he's gotta supply the adhesive, grout and all fittings etc that are necessary for the fit. He's also obviously working on his own insurance - B&Q don't have their own liability insurance for fitting - it's down the the fitter.

Talking to the customer again at the end of the job and asked why they paid B&Q for the fit. They advised because the work is guaranteed, they don't have to worry about getting plumbers and fitters co-ordinated etc. Basically it was convenient!

Yes the work is guaranteed. BY THE FITER. Any probems with the fit and B&Q aren't goint to come out. They're going to send the fitter back. End of.

So for convenience, B&Q get £1,700 clear profit for doing or supplying absolutely burger all! No wonder they can knock bethroom suites out for pence!

Same goes for their kitchen fitting service.

Like I say, I'd expect them to sub it out but to add such a mark up to the fitting cost is absurd, especially when there isn't really a guarantee provided by B&Q themselves.

regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
Big companies like B&Q know the value of a good silvery tongued salesman.

THe people that use the likes of b+q for fitting, feel that they wont be ripped off, and remember also that if the customer is not satisfied its b+q he goes back to not the fitter.

This practice of "screwing the customer" has been going on for years now.

We used to be contracted to do glass repairs for Pilkington Glazing UK which was bought out by another well known big company last year. We were getting paid absolute peanuts for high quality work and we paid for everything ourselves as far as H&S and insurance costs goes. No financial assistance is ever given by these companies.
We were making a loss on every single job and in the end we told them to shove it.
Cheap labour is being sought because of this and health & safety is being seriously compromised because the real tradesmen simply cant afford the extra costs. I've actually watched some of the cowboys who work for these call-centres and I've been horrified at some of the things Ive seen.

I always try to explain how it the system works to customers to try to persuade them to get their own tradesmen in and not the insurance companies so-called "approved" fitters because its us in the trade who are getting screwed over by these call-centres.
However, some customers dont seem to realise or understand that you're actually trying to save them time, convenience and a lot of money.

The call-centres cream off the poor old labourer and the insurance company in turn creams off the call centre leaving the end customer with a massive bill to pay off. A Reglaze job which should only cost about £60+VAT ends up costing the end user £600+VAT.

Unfortunately the big customers like Tesco, Boots Chemist and Wetherspoons pubs (for example) like the convenience of doing things this way so they dont seem to mind paying over the odds for a national call-centre to deal with the work on their behalf.

Only problem is....the big customers are so strict about H&S (and rightly so) but it is the tradesman who has to provide and foot the extra cost of this as well as all the extra time on site filling in customers own Health & safety paperwork.

Okay. Rant over :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

i think some people need to wake up, and make a purchase without discriminating the sub contractor for the work being carried out , you dont have to use b&q sub contractors, fit the thing your self if you have a brain.

If you had a brain you'd realise that this thread is from 2007.

Probably still relevant in this day and age Joe,,, What with the recession n'all ;) ;)

As you well know. How did you get on by the way, did you get it sorted in the end?
I did a bathrom refit a couple of weeks ago where they'd been quoted over 5 grand by bathstore, I wish I'd known that when I put my quote in. :mrgreen:

Yes the work is guaranteed. BY THE FITER. Any probems with the fit and B&Q aren't goint to come out. They're going to send the fitter back. End of.

If B&Q took the cash then they are responsible for any guarantee. If the fitter does a poor job then the homeowner talk to B&Q. It's up to B&Q who they use to fix it.

I went through Tesco when looking at solar panels. Not because I know Tesco are any good at putting panels on a roof, but because I knew they would still be around in ten years time and the firm who installed them almost certainly wouldn't.

Tesco being very competitive indeed was important too of course, if they were twice the price I'd have gone straight to in installer. I suspect the installers got paid not-a-lot, they were after leads where they could rent your roof.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Back