Unvented below sink water heater- PRV drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a 'below sink' unvented water heater installed in the loft. It needs a pressure relief valve installed in the pipework along with it. Has the drain coming from the PRV & tundish got to be copper? or can it be PE-X barrier pipe?

Sponsored Links
4xpaws said:
I'm having a 'below sink' unvented water heater installed in the loft. It needs a pressure relief valve installed in the pipework along with it. Has the drain coming from the PRV & tundish got to be copper? or can it be PE-X barrier pipe?

Avoid these. Fit a heat bank thermal store.

Thanks for comment.

One reason amongst others is too long a pipe run is needed to fit thermal store. 30m+ run needed. Its for 3rd floor and storage cylinder's in basement.

What make and model?

I think it would have to be copper.

What are you feeding with it?

Why not fit a secondary return - much lower running costs and less maintenance.

Sponsored Links
Speedlow SF10Li unvented water heater

feed from mains.

Secondary return -what's all that about? Returning to where?

does it need to have prv and tundish if it is storing less than 15 litres, im pretty sure its doesnt need to.

4xpaws said:
Thanks for comment.

One reason amongst others is too long a pipe run is needed to fit thermal store. 30m+ run needed. Its for 3rd floor and storage cylinder's in basement.

A DHW secondary circulation pump can be fitted to a thermal store heat bank.

Comes supplied with PRV + all fitting senarios show the 6 bar PRV installed.

4xpaws said:
Secondary return -what's all that about? Returning to where?

Its basically just a loop going back to the cylinder that re-circulates the hot water using a bronze pump set on a timer/timer & thermostat so that the hot water doesn't take three weeks to get to taps at the opposite end of the house. Hotels use it as do hospitals.

You haven't answered the main quetion of what it's for.

DD the man doesn't need a thermal store; leave it - for a change.

jay1 said:
does it need to have prv and tundish if it is storing less than 15 litres, im pretty sure its doesnt need to.
Fraid not, they come with a PRV and you have to allow 4 meters of supply 15mm pipe for expansion back up the supply pipe before a draw off on said supply.........or 2 metres of 22mm pipe ;) I would run copper and use a 22x35 reducer as a tundish.......in fact I`ve done 2 now ,as they are not covered by unvented certificating ;) which I aint got

A DHW secondary circulation pump can be fitted to a thermal store heat bank.

Pipe run involved means its too costly in terms of labour & materials + access needed to install run is difficult. Forget it.

The heater's bought and now needs fitting (correctly)!

You haven't answered the main quetion of what it's for.

Its to supply a sink in a 3rd floor bathroom. Boiler and cylinder a down in basement. Cold tank is on the 3rd floor too. Previous plumber said the under sink heater was the best option for getting hot water to 3rd floor sink.

with a PRV and you have to allow 4 meters of supply 15mm pipe for expansion back up the supply pipe before a draw off on said supply.........or 2 metres of 22mm pipe

-The fitting instructions show at least 2.8m of 15mm pipe is needed for expansion to the nearest cold draw off from the heater. As the curent main supply is 15mm, adding reducers and a section of roughly 1.3m of 22mm between the nearest cold draw off and the 15mm fitting to the heater is acceptable??

Fitting a length of 22mm -would this step up the the size pipework needed for the PRV discharge? Currently with the PRV Tee'd off 15mm supply, discharge pipe D1 (PRV to tundish) is 15mm & D2 (tundish to outside) is 22mm.

With this 22mm 'expansion' section would D1 now become 22mm and D2 28mm??

-Finally, can the PRV drain pipe discharge onto a roof, or has it got to go 3 story's down to a surface drain, or... can it vent into the cold water/ DHW cistern?

I'm a bit bemused you can't use barrier pipe for the drain given that you can use it for other HW CH applications.

You want to use a 10 litre unvented heater to run a bathroom?

hhhmmmm. Are you sure?

I wouldn't terminate it over the roof unless you had at least three metres of surface before it entered the guttering.

It would be a copper pipe as the PEX pipe might not handle the superheted water/steam that is released under fault conditions.

Hence avoiding the termination of the Safety discharge over the roof.

I don't think you quite understand how all this works do you?

The size of the incoming main has little bearing on what happens after the heater with regards the safety discharge.

Dan Robinson wrote

You want to use a 10 litre unvented heater to run a bathroom?

Sounds like he only wants to provide hot water to a basin. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back