Loose roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I've just noticed a tile out of place on my roof, on a single story part of my house. It's not a flat roof.

I climbed up and was able to push the tile back into place but there seems to be a lot of loose tiles up there. I assume this isn't normal and you shouldn't be able to move them by hand?

What would be the best thing to do? - Can I just repair it myself by putting some kind of cement on there or should I get a roofer in?

The problem is now I don't know whether these loose tiles are just a one off or if there are others on the main roof.

The house is only 10 years old.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Send us a pic........don`t risk ££££on roofers unless you know somone who can recommend one ;)

Most tiles are loose. They have little lugs on that hook over the roof battens.
Each layer holds the next layer down.

Thanks for the replies.

Here is the roof in question:-

It was the bottom right tile which I noticed was loose and I have pushed it back into place:-

But, it is still loose and also the curved tiles going up the spine of the roof seem loose. (the reddish ones in the picture):-

I would just have expected the area to feel a little more solid rather than the tiles moving about when you touch them!!

Regards

Sponsored Links
all you need to do is use an exterior silicone or sealent and fill in the watergate this should work what is happening is the weight of the ridge is kicking up the tile.
thanks

the smaller cuts which run down the hip will, unfortunately, lose their nibs due to the shape of the cut.

this is not at all unusual.

as the roof ages, so the tiles lose their rigidity, due largely to the roof 'flexing'. mortar is a very rigid product and does not lend itself well to movement, so it soon loses its grip on the tiles.

there are an awful lot of ridge tiles like yours. as joe says, friction and gravity help to keep roofs intact.

The tiles are loose as the hip tiles have worked loose from the mortar bed and need re-bedding on a stronger mortar mix. The whole hip will normally need doing not just the odd one, yes unfortunatly this costs money-not that much down here, but for peace of mind its worth it if the job is done properly by a recommended roofer (don't use the ones in glasgow though they dont know their ridge from their hip!)

Thanks for the replies!

I'll call a local roofer who has an ad in our 'village mag'. I prefer to use people who live nearby as in my experience they are less likely to shaft you.

Any rough idea what this could cost? (I'm in Essex) - £100, £250, £500???

Regards.

Materials, sand, cement, a handful of spare tiles for re-cuts, possibly a few spare hip tiles, job should be under £350 easily and take no longer than a day. Then again if a tower or scaffold is used it will be double that price. Don't just get and go for the one quote, try three and compare. ;)

Thanks.

My local guy came over earlier and reckons its only the 1st 2 hip tiles which are loose and that all the others are sound so he said it's a nothing job just to refix those. I'm waiting for him to call back with a price but I was thinking I might just wait for the next storm and phone my insurance and blame the storm for the damage and just pay the excess!

Regards

Your insurer won't pay for general house maintenance. I'm quite glad about that.

joe-90 said:
Your insurer won't pay for general house maintenance. I'm quite glad about that.

But they will pay for storm damage to my roof, including loose tiles.

Anyway, I've been quoted only £70 to repair the loose tiles. He's going to just reseat the exisiting tiles on new mortar so I don't need to pay for new tiles, just his time and minimal materials.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back