Joining chrome waste pipe to PVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a PVC waste pipe set into the concrete in my downstairs toilet. I'm putting a new suite in, with chrome bottle trap and waste pipe. I need a way to connect the chrome pipe to the PVC pipe at floor level. I'm laying tiles so have perhaps 3/4" to play with before the joint comes proud of the tiling - obviously not enough to put a dirty great compression joint.

Are there any internal joints available for this sort of thing?

Dias/Bores are as follows (mm):

Chrome pipe 35/33
PVC pipe 35/32.

This is the sort of thing I have in my mind's eye...
pipejointyf7.jpg

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
Not that I know of .Internal joints would increase the risk of obstruction.You also need a wee bit more length on your present pipe .Prob the only way to go is try and fit McAlpine coupling and spray it silver, or make joint under floor.

Yep, I was aware of the potential for obstruction, but with the traffic the downstairs loo receives I wasn't particularly worried! Nobody's washing their hair in the sink or anything!

Digging the floor up is a no-no. I'd already decided I didn't want to do that, but I've now laid the majority of the tiles on the floor, and I don't want to risk a crack propagating underneath them!

I'm tempted to improvise with a 3" length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe with a ~5mm slit down the side, pinched together to make a smaller bore pipe and fixed within the two pipes I want to join. I'm sure this will stand up to the potential pressure created by filling a small sink! However this will reduce the bore by over 10%...

Core cutter around pipe in the floor to a couple of inches and chipout loose concrete. clean pipe . use a screw type plastic connector with rubber seals and as an extra precaution some silicone. should be know problem to connect your chrome pipework to. :rolleyes: : chrisey

Sponsored Links
A few times Dan, when the pipes been hit and broken with the hover. :LOL:

Chrisey

Thinking about this whilst on holiday last week (British Summer weather gives plenty of opportunity to just sit and think!), it occurred to me that if I use a core cutter, there's nowhere for the arbor bit to locate so the core bit will just skip around all over the place. How did you overcome this?

Cheers

Jim

Well what I would do is make a template with a piece of thin plywood or even hardboard will do if you have nothing else. Just drill a hole thru the template the same size as the one you want to drill in the concrete and then use that by standing on it and drilling thru the hole to give you a smooth start-done it many times with holes up to 200mm diameter a few years ago when in a different trade.

Jimbo said:
Chrisey

Thinking about this whilst on holiday last week (British Summer weather gives plenty of opportunity to just sit and think!), it occurred to me that if I use a core cutter, there's nowhere for the arbor bit to locate so the core bit will just skip around all over the place. How did you overcome this?

Cheers

Jim

Not for the practiced.... I couldn't find my guide/pilot drill for ages, but I managed plenty or neat holes tah very much.

I would consider cutting a plug to fit the end of the waste pipe from a bit of scrap timber, and drill it to take the pilot bit.

I have a good solution but fear all here will call me a cowboy??
Put some lubricant on the end of the chrome pipe (this assuming the very similar size diameters) and gently warm the inside of the PVC pipe. Once the PVC pipe is "leathery" gently insert the cooler chrome pipe. You must very slowly keep turning the metal pipe keeping it plumb upright!
Both will cool and you are left with a tight socket in the PVC end, pull it out clean it up them finally use a little silicone to make a union.
Yes, I know very cowboyish! :oops: BUT, it works!

Far from it, I and several of my guys have used this kind of technique in slightly different applications several times. You have to be very careful with te blow torch though...

Maybe a hot air paint stripper would be a little bit kinder to the pipe than a blowlamp......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back