Black slime from taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with black slime coming out of the cold water taps and shower in the bathroom. I believe the cold water taps and shower are fed from the rising main. Can anyone please tell me how I get rid of this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure this slime is coming from mains-fed taps?

It sounds much more likely that your stored water is contaminated.

Have you lived in this house for very long?

Do you have a cold storage cistern (aka tank) in the loft?

We have lived here for 16 years system new then. Pretty sure it is mains fed as to isolate the cold water all I need to do is shut off the stop cock under the sink.

I think we've had this before (do a search?). As I recall the slime (fungus?) develops outside of the tap in damp environments. If the taps drip or leak slightly this might produce a good breeding environment. A good cleaning with bleach should help.

Sponsored Links
The slime seems to come out of the tap, it seems to cling onto the tap outlet and is removed with a nail brush. Forgot to mention in last reply that we do have a cold water storage tank in the roof void but this seems to only feed the Hot Water cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back