Which Sander for general DIY, Windows, Door frames etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Doing some DIY, have to sand and repaint the windows outside (the person I bought the house off seemed to have done one layer of paint long time ago).

I was thinking a mouse sander would be best.

Am I right?
If so any recommendations for good but cheap sander?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Although I love power tools. The more power the better :evil: You would probably do just as well if not better with a block of wood and some sand paper. In my experience these details sanders take ages to take anything off, and go though pads in no time, especially when you get cheesed off with the time it's taking and press that little bit too hard.

But after doing all the windows on my house, plus skirting boards, door frames and banister, I'll end up with a suspiciously large right arm and be talking like Daniel son. Sand the fence, wax on wax off...

Sponsored Links
Whatever you end up going for, stay away from the Black & Decker KA226 'sandstorm'. Piece of poo!

used it for 10mins, didn't press hard or anything, and the sanding base plate sheared off! :evil:

I'd go with a square (quarter or half sheet) model. Delta (triangular) sanders are only really handy for corners and tight spots, but you can do these bits by hand and speed through the straight runs.

You just used the wrong sandpaper on your block. I've never seen a painter use a powered sander - and they would if it were a good idea.

Get some of the green sandpaper in 60 grit and 80 grit and the paint will turn to dust like dandruff.

All that happens with power tools is friction melts the paint and you end up with a complete mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back