Replacing kitchen taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a small question regarding replacing some taps, it's probably just me over complicating a fairly simple job, but I just need a little reassurance from the experts!

I have a mixer tap in the kitchen sink, beneath which, two copper pipes enter it, 15mm. I have a new tap to fit, which came complete with braided hoses for installation. What I propose to do seems fairly straight forward, in that i want to fit the new tap, then the hoses, then each hose into an isolator valve and then onto the existing copper pipe. The valves have brass olives to compress to the copper pipe at the other end, but connecting the hose to the valve, has me thinking. It's the same thread, and the braided hose has a rubber seal inside it, so I assume that when i remove the nut and olive from the opposite end of the valve, I can just tighten the hose right onto it. Is that right, or am I missing something, or am I as I suspected, looking for a problem where none exists, and over complicating the job?

I have offered a couple of pics to show the components that i have. Many thanks for your advice.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
You are quite right in surmising that you are creating a problem which does not exist, However take care not to over tighten the hoses into the tap body,hand tight should suffice . Likewise with the connection to the isolating valvas, hand tight then half a turn is usually enough.

Thnaks very much for the advice, and the tips. It's appreciated :D

Hi again folks,

Well success! I have fitted the new mixer tap!

Unfortunately it seems to be very noisy. When i turn the single lever to hot, water flows etc, and no exceesive noise, when its turned fully to cold, a bit noiser, but i guess maybe due to higher pressure, but it's definetly not excessive. However when the tap is turned toward the centre, so that both hot and cold water flow, then it gets really noisy, no banging or anything, just very loud water "rushing noise". A lot louder than my previous tap. Could this be anything really to do with the installation, or is it just probably the type of tap itself? Ive included a picture of the tap itself.

Many thanks

tap.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I have tried that, and it did have an effect, in as much as it stopped the noise when cold only running, but the noise is still 75% or so there when tap in center and running hot and cold. :cry:

Thanks for the advice anyway m8 :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back