Gas boiler inn the attic?..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys am just finishing off a garage @ that abutts my house.
The lean to roof of the garage covers where my flu used exit so the boiler needs to be reloacated....also it will free up much needed space in my already tiny kitchen!
So im moving the boiler into my garage.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is there any reason against putting the boiler in the "attic" area of my garage?(there wont be a ceiling in the garage but there will be boards here and there on the joists for storage etc..ie it wont be an enclosed attic.)

2.What distance am i required to leave between my flu and the soffit?

Many thanks,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Don't know if Irish regs differ but here you would have to have the area boarded out, a light permanently fitted and instant access via a loft ladder type ladder, even though it is a garage roof and not a loft.

The flue clearances would be down to individual MI's, but usually 300mm would suffice.

Cheers for that,
Will pretty much be boarding it out and will have an access ladder etc so should be fine.
Doubt irish regs are as stringent as yours.
Cheers,
Marty.

martyc said:
Cheers for that,
Will pretty much be boarding it out and will have an access ladder etc so should be fine.
Doubt irish regs are as stringent as yours.
Cheers,
Marty.

You must also have a rail around the hatch if it is near to the boiler. The boiler must also not be in a situation where articles can stored on it. The light must a permanent light and light the whole area and especially around the hatch and boiler. The ladder must a permanent attachment (a screwed in shoot down is suitable).

Sponsored Links
thanks DD appreciate it..will be a few weeks b4 i go at it
thanks for the top advice,
Marty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back