Oil Boilers, OFTEC registration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have to be OFTEC registered (or with any other body) to install and commission an oil fired boiler in England?

Sponsored Links
Ideally yes but as far as I can remember its still not a legal requirement.
They have a oil notification system like £orgi do so it goes to building control.

I have just allowed my OFTEC registration to lapse as there is no legal requirement for servicing and maintenance which is what I mainly do.

For installations you DO NOT have to be OFTEC registered however a non registered technician will have to submit a building regulation application. Speak to your local building control about how to do this.

Commissioning may be a different matter and I believe you can not do it if you are not registered... if anyone knows differently then I would be interested to know as I have stopped commissioning myself now (due to dropping my OFTEC membership) but would be quite happy to carry on if there is a way to continue.

Sponsored Links
oil leaks are just messy whereas gas leaks can kill

Ironically though, it seems, accidently spill oil that reaches controlled water and eventually kill a few fish and you could be in for a bigger fine than if you negligently work on gas and lay waste to a entire apartment block and all it's inhabitants.

you wouldnt get a fine if you wiped out a block of flats and people you would get a prison sentence

Hence the words 'it seems'. Clearly you don't deal in metaphors.

All very nice, but whats going to happen when its a 'legal' requirement for you to be registered :oops:

grib said:
Commissioning may be a different matter and I believe you can not do it if you are not registered... if anyone knows differently then I would be interested to know as I have stopped commissioning myself now (due to dropping my OFTEC membership) but would be quite happy to carry on if there is a way to continue.

I don't see why you shouldn't. All you would need is a calibrated measuring instrument and a suitable form to fill in. There is NO legal specification for a commissioner AFAIK.

chilli985 said:
you wouldnt get a fine if you wiped out a block of flats and people you would get a prison sentence

Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have natural gas in flats?? :confused:

oilman said:
grib said:

I don't see why you shouldn't. All you would need is a calibrated measuring instrument and a suitable form to fill in. There is NO legal specification for a commissioner AFAIK.

I have a suitable instrument and a suitable form by way of a CD/10. They may be signed by "OFTEC registered technician" or have a "Building Control ref number"!
Does that mean that you can obtain the ref number for the building (renovation) and add it to the document instead of being a reg technician?

[/quote]Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have natural gas in flats??[/quote]

In that case that must have been one hell of a draught that brought down Ronan Point

Mike2007 said:
I have a suitable instrument and a suitable form by way of a CD/10. They may be signed by "OFTEC registered technician" or have a "Building Control ref number"!
Does that mean that you can obtain the ref number for the building (renovation) and add it to the document instead of being a reg technician?

Just make up your own form, otherwise you might be seen as trying to pass yourself off as OFTEC registered when you aren't. You don't need a space for the BC number as the form is for you to pass the info to BC, then they do what they have to do.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have natural gas in flats??[/quote]

In that case that must have been one hell of a draught that brought down Ronan Point[/quote]
I know what you are saying but I find many(all I have visited) on economy 7 water heaters, electric hob/ovens?

oilman said:
Mike2007 said:

Just make up your own form, otherwise you might be seen as trying to pass yourself off as OFTEC registered when you aren't. You don't need a space for the BC number as the form is for you to pass the info to BC, then they do what they have to do.
Do you think they would be ok with that, as most don't know what they are looking at anyway so need your registration as a knowledge endorsment?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back