How to change a shower pull cord switch??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need some help please!!??

I have removed a pull cord switch with two Live cables, two Neutral and two Earth. The old switch also has load on one side and feed on the other. The new switch I bought only has mains on one side so I just want to make sure if the mains side is the feed or load?

In case you are wondering i had to change the switch because the cord snapped inside the switch which cannot be fixed.

Thank you very much,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Does it just say mains, or mains in / mains out?

It is unusual for only one side of the switch t be labelled.

WHAT???? That wasnt very clear.

Your old switch, what terminals did it have?

Your new switch, what terminals does it have?

The wires you have - were all of the lives and "neutrals" connected to the switch? If so in what configuration?

Sponsored Links
I would reckon that mains is feed, and the non marked side is load.

Are there markings to distinguish L & N terminals?

thanks for a quick reply!! Yeah Two 'L' and two 'N' terminals are clear.
Im gonna try and fit it now so I can have a shower in the morning!
If i have it wrong would a fuse blow?

You really do not want to take that approach to wiring. You should make sure that you get things right, not rely on a blowng fuse to tell you its wrong.

OK. I was just going to put the new switch in the same way as the old one but wasnt expecting different labels. Just to complicate things more the two earth terminals are on the mains side on the new switch. On the old one the earth terminals are either side

DSCF1886.jpg
[/img]

DSCF1885.jpg
[/img]

first image is old one, second is new

'mains' is the supply (from the consumer unit)

The other side is the load (to the shower)

So mains is also feed? Does it matter which earth cables are connected to the terminals?
Thanks for your help!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back