Mortice lock fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Ledge & Brace back door that my insurers tell me I must fit a 5 lever BS 3621 lock to - any ideas how this can be achived when the door is only 30mm deep.
I had thought of putting an additional piece of timber onto the door but it would not look too good, I have also heard that there are special lock cases for the job but cannot trace then

I also cannot replace the door, its Grade 2 listed - any ideas??

Sponsored Links
rimlock.

not all BS locks have levers, some have cylinders.

Chubb 4767 is very good although min door thicknes is 38mm so you could usefully add a reinforcing plate. You could make it look like a finger-plate and have one on the outside too with coach-bolts or allthreads pulling them together..

There are some very strong lever rimlocks used on Utility cabins, derived from Safe Locks with an extra casing, but I doubt they are BS.

If it is not your Final Exit door, or a fire escape, add bolts too.

If it was me I would attach an additional block to the inside of the door, possibly with coach bolts. If you added an extra layer on the inside it could look neat and original.

The stiles sound surprisingly thin. I have an LBF that is 44mm thick which looks about right.

If you decide to use a small mortice lock I think a Kickstop or Lockguard would be a wise addition.

Thanks for the tips - I'll recheck the thickness, a finger plate sounds good

your local masterlocksmiths will be able to get you a rim mounting kit for a chubb 3g114 3" lock,there black hammerite finish and look the part on old doors.
they are coach bolted through the door and the same for the striker on the frame
as also suggested bolting a block onto the door and frame also works fine and if done properly doesnt look to bad.
if fitting a block to the door only make the door/block combined thickness 50mm at most otherwise you'll have to get long keys made,this is the case when using the chubb rim mounting kit,you'll need long keys making otherwise they wont reach from the outside

Sponsored Links
this is where we bought them from when i worked as a locksmith in south manchester,not sure if they supply direct but they could always direct you to a stockist in your area.the mounting kits retailed for about £40+vat

http://www.nigelrosems.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back