boiler pumping but not igniting

jos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my IDEAL classic nf fanned flue gas boiler is not igniting.When the water is switched on the pump and fan appear to be working and the boiler sounds as if it wants to ignite. There is no sound when cental heating is switched on,that is there is no pilot light or any sign of life. Help me diagnose the problem before i am totally ripped off by a plumber.

Sponsored Links
jos said:
Help me diagnose the problem before i am totally ripped off by a plumber.

I'm not 100% sure that the people who can help you will appreciate this remark! :D

sorry if i have offended the good honest workers,but the media/tv folks are always warning us of rogue tradespeople. I would be interested in finding out how much i should be paying as i do not intend to deal with the problem myself

About time the sodding media did customers from hell on tv, last time some old misery asked me in a nasty tone how much I was going to charge for repairing his toilet I said nothing as you can get someone else now, bloody condeming me before I even got in the door, got back in my van and went THEY MIGHT rip you off where as I wasn't going to, too late now bye bye.

Sponsored Links
Yes well I think your boiler sounds old and you wont get the spares, I can powerflush your system for £850.00 then sub out the job of fitting you a new combi you dont want for £5500.00 but you will get a free rad valve and a certificate from CORGI to tell you it's new and shiny, better still go down the pub and find some bloke who's had ten pints who "does a bit", he will be bound to be cheap enough for you.

forget i even asked.You obviously are not going to bother answering my problem.Terribly sorry I even bothered asking. I really did not expect this kind of response.I assure you I am not a customer from hell.I never question the workmen that come to my house. I do not quibble about the price. It would have made it easier for me to explain the problem to whoever i was going to employ. I'll just go ahead and contact someone fom the yellow pages.I really do not feel That I should have to grovel to get simple advice.

you could try to reset the boiler overheat stat if it was fitted with one...it's the red button on the side of the boiler control box.....are you sure that your room thermostat is calling for heat in CH mode?

Thank you ollski for your advice. My thermostat is set at a high temp so that it is calling for heat in CH mode.I set it as such to check if the pilot light would come on.There is a overheat stat control of some kind it appears to be a red screw. i would not know how to reset it.

it should just be a button to press....have you just switched your heating on for the first time?...it sounds like two different problems the heating probably down to you motorized valve not making a contact and the lack of ignition either down to the boiler overheat stat or possibly the air pressure switch.

the heating has been kept on at a very low thermostat setting throughout the summer.I only raised the temperature setting to check if the ignition would work.What is the air pressure switch?The problem only occurred this morning. The boiler is approx 9 years old.

The boiler starts in a pre-determined sequence when heat is called for. The fan starts, the pressure switch operates if the pressure is sufficient, the starter starts, the pilot valve opens, when a flame is established the main gas valve opens.

You should get someone with the necessary test gear to check it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back