moving BT junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi need to move my bt junction box, there is a 2 core cable coming from bt box outside window to the junction box where can i get this cable from,
not sure if the cable spoke about in other posts is stuff i need.

see pictures (not the best)
thanks in advance for any help

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

Sponsored Links
that cable shown in your picture is not something that BT use currently, whether it is a past BT cable type or a diy bodge I can't say but it doesn't look much like phone cable to me.

You aren't meant to mess with BT's wiring but if you must then use CW1308B cable so they can't tell it wasn't them.

I remember my Grandma having one of those in her house, with an old-fashioned dial type phone. I'm sure that the telephone was hardwired into it, rather than the plug-in sockets that we use today.

That does appear to be a DIY bodge from the past. Between BT boxes BT would have used twisted pair cable and not the type shown.

The box shown is the type where the old hard wire phones were connected. If the cover has a square cut out removed at one end then almost certainly that cover was over the lead from a hardwire phone lead.

Someone has removed that phone and wired on to sockets else where.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I also need to move my BT socket and also have twin core cable coming down from the junction box on my outside wall.
Thanks for the pointer on the cable type to use (CW1308B), but could you please confirm if this cable is ok for outside use, ie coming down the wall from the junction box on the facia, and is there a preferred colour choice for using the wires (I believe that only two wires are used ?!?)
Do you know if Maplins supply the cable?
Many thanks, Carl

Thanks Breezer, although Maplins reckon that you cant use the CW1308 cable outside (in their FAQ's). I notice on another post here that it says that you can use the CW1308 cable outside but not inside.......hence the confusion.
Apparently the CW1308B is the prefered choice but Maplins dont seem to stock that one.
Any comments?
Thanks.

The only trouble is that i need to connect it to the BT cable under the guttering outside and run it down the outside wall to come in by the front door to the BT socket.
Would it be ok for this ?

CW1308 comes in two versions, CW1308 internal for indoor wiring only and CW1308 external for external wiring only (it is not suitable for use indoors because it is filled with a flamable jelly.

CW1308B is suitable for use both indoors and outdoors, unfortunately it seems a little tricky to source the stuff at low pair counts.

If you can go straight into the back of the outdoor box and avoid exposing the cable you could probablly use CW1308 internal for the entire run.

white cable is only used for inside as it will crack and split under direct sunlight after a few years,black cable ,i.e telephone,satellite ,cable companys only use black outside and can only use up to 3m of this inside the house as if the house goes up in flames it gives off toxic fumes........I know this sounds daft if the whole house is on fire what difference would this make but it is a health and safety ruling

Does that apply to SKY because they just installed my SKY+ with white cable or is it ok as they use a different type of cable.

satallite cable is nearly always black and is used indoors all the time, same for SWA mains cable and many other cable types. The blackness comes from the addition of elemental carbon and won't produce anything nastier than the cable would have produced when burning anyway.

The outdoor version of CW1308 must not be used indoors (very short runs to come into a junction box are considered acceptable) because it is filled with petrolum jelly and can therefore accellerate the spread of fire. CW1308B is not jelly filled and is suitable for use both indoors and outdoors.

most cable types can cause toxic fumes, special cables that don't are availible but they are not required for most wiring (the main time they are required is when a cable route is also an air route for a heating/aircon system)

Generally white cables should not be used outdoors because they tend to be sensitive to UV but it is possible to make white cables that are UV safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back