Noisy toilet cistern when filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard coupled basin/cistern, approx 18 years old.

When you flush the toilet there is a fog horn type noise, I have taken the top of the cistern and the noise stops when i pull the ball up.
The cold water feed pipe vibrates quite badly when the noise happens and you put your hand on it.

What could be causing this and is there an easy fix?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
Change the washer in the float valve.

Ask at your local friendly plumbers merchants. :D

Hi Bahco

Can you point me in the direction of any pictures/diagrams showing what this part is?

Typically how easy is this to change on an old cistern?

Sponsored Links
At the end of the arm you will see a large (1 1/2 inch) round nut which unscrews and gives you access to the washer.

Might only need cleaning out.

Turn the water off first or you will get a shower. :D

UPDATE:

Problem sorted, I removed the rubber washer then cleaned it up with some hot soapy water. I sprayed it with a silicone rubber lubricant and refitted it.

Now nice and quiet.

Thanks to all for the tips on how to cure this problem.
10 minutes of stripping and cleaning the washer, replacing and testing and job done.
Saved me a £60 call out charge and probably the cost of a whole new inlet assembly as I'm sure most plumbers would have recommended replacing the whole part, rather than just cleaning out the dirt that was causing this problem !

I must confess to being rather worried it might be something more serious as we have very high water pressure in our area, thankfully it was no more than a dirty washer !

float valves only cost a few pounds, and it is quicker and easier to undo the big ring nut and take the working parts off the stem as a sub-assembly, and swap old for new. Later, you can strip, clean and re-washer your old one, and keep it handy for next time.

this is even more true for valves in the loft, where it is often dark, cramped and dirty. I leave a re-washered valve in a plastic bag next to the loft tank.

BTW rather than putting back the worn old washer, a bag of new ones is very cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back