Green/blue liquid dripping from external pipe (boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with this please?

I noticed yesterday a small pool of green/blue liquid on the ground outside. It is coming out of one of the pipes that comes from the boiler.

Here's a quicky history.

We have an Ariston Eco Combi 27 MFFI boiler which was installed 2 years ago to replace a defunct Worcester Bosch. Our boiler was treated with Fernox about 3 months later.

We have 3 "pipes" coming out of the wall. The large flue one, the smaller pipe (which I thought was just left over from the old boiler) and the condensate pipe which goes straight into the drainpipe.

The liquid is dripping out of the thinner pipe which I thought was just left over from the old boiler but having a look under the current boiler I can see that this is connected up. I don't know what this does obviously but does anyone know what this green/blue liquid could be? It doesn't smell at all and is quite a nice colour :LOL:

Boiler is working well otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pressure relief valve is slightly passing and the green\blue liquid is inhibitor. Do you have to top up your heating very often ?

Thanks for your reply gigz.

The system doesn't need topping up regularly. The last time I topped up was after we had a little leak and that was about 14 months ago.

The heating is on at the mo and I've just checked the pressure. It's at a little bit over 2.

It could just be copper verdigris (is the pipe 15 / 22 mm copper) if it is and you dont need to top up your boiler i would'nt worry about it.

Sponsored Links
doesn't sound right to me.

Maybe condensation is leaking inside instead of going down the condensate pipe. It is somewhat acid so can't be doing much good inside the boiler casing (or to whatever it drips on) and will erode concrete

Have it looked at during the next service, or sooner.

Ah! Okay thanks John D.

I do have someone coming out soon to sort out the condensate pipe (SWALEC Shield engineer told me installer has installed incorrect size pipe) and if the dripping is still present I will ask him to take a look.

Many thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back