Customer that won't pay...again!

J

js.roofing

Hello all,
I've just come across my first non-paying customer. During process of job (flat roof replacement and new cladding) we had to remove some corrugated sheets from lean-to which led onto flat roof, when job complete, we replaced the sheets exactly how they came off.

Invoiced the old fella, a week later i got a shi**y email from him saying hes not paying, the sheets werent put back properly, screws missing, etc etc, but also stated that he was happy with the job that we were paid to do in first place.Anyhow, before even going out to rectify the problems he listed, (which i'm pefectly happy to do) on email he's threatening trading standards, trade organisations, and even small claims court yet he's the one withholding payment.

I've offered to rectify the problems he listed but he's sent another email "Demanding" a whole new corrugated roof!! He's not replied to my mail offering to rectify the faults, so legally where do i stand? The amount due is over a grand, and i don't feel i can just let it go, and by the way he's used the words i get the impression he's done this many times before with other trades.

Apart from violence ;) any other suggestions from tradesmen? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well you've already answered your own question. He's stated that he's happy with the work done, and you've offered to put the sheets right. I don't think trading standards etc. will be interested if they know he's knocked back your offer to rectify.

Hello all,
I've just come across my first non-paying customer., and even small claims court yet he's the one withholding payment. from violence ;) any other suggestions from tradesmen? Thanks.
You initiate small claims court procedure, and call his bluff......also have a look @ posts by Softus.....he left a very useful one on this subject just recently ;)

We get knob cheeses like this dick squat all the time. If you don't get any joy out of him then go to The money claim website and they will issue a small claims summons.

We just got a grand off a non-payer, costs us 30 quid though.

Once you have got the money back send him a love letter to say his 10 year guarantee is null and voided :)

Sponsored Links
Mw.Roofline

Yeah sounds good, before we even started the job the bast*rd asked for pensioners discount!! So i agreed-me being polite, and funnily enough as the job progressed i could see it coming. We had a small scaffold tower up, which the old **** began climbing on the outside frame (i took the ladder away on purpose on dinner break) 77 yrs old, trying to climb a fu**ing scaffold to be nosey!! Anyhows i got the gut feeling that he was just gonna be "one of them!" He were watching like a bloody hawk for 3 days, even had the neighbours out watching, if he fell and broke his neck (i wish) who would have been responsible-being my tower on his property? Thanks for the advice he wont be getting any guarantee now, and i had the love letter planned for after anyway lol!!

sheet happens......
Go back, get on the roof with a tin of white gloss and a 6" paper hangers brush and ask him how do you spell 'NON PAYER'. worked for one scotish roofer I know. ( NOT ADVERTISING ANYTHING MW)

we had a firm long ago who wouldnt pay up for doing a valley on a new roof,as he said it was all wrong and had to get some one else to retify it, so we went back and saw that it was exactly the same as we left it,(i know as i had put my initials on them)so we pulled up everything that we had done without breaking any tiles and left them all on the ground in a nice pile,

we got done for criminal damage though but it felt good

Yep take the ars..le to court and also explain that you will be adding interest on a weekly basis until the amount owed is paid in full but first write to him and explain the situation and that the roof has been put back as it was originally or in fact is now better than it was :!:

It would have been good if you had taken pics of the roof before you took off the sheeting then there would have been no doubt that it had been put back correctly.

So Plan A

- Write to him explaining the situation that the roof is as it was and address any other gripes he has.
- Give him 7 days to pay in full otherwise you will take court action with no further notice.
- Detail that you will be adding statutory interest to the amount owed until it is paid. You can get advice on this from your local court.
- Explain that you will also be seeking compensation for time spent in dealing with the claim and for lost time not working and also court expenses.
- Send a copy to your solicitor and note this at the foot of the letter you send to him eg CC. Jones, smith and fich solicitors. Send all this recorded delivery so he cant b......t by saying he didn't receive your letter.

Your solicitor does not have to get involved but it shows him you mean business. Hope this helps. Oh plan B

SEND THE BOYS ROUND :mad: I have a good contact in the mafia if you need it :D

I've been to the small claims court a few times. ( one the right side of the law!)

The corspondance you sent to the customer will form an important part of the case.

I would write to him explaining exactly what you did, (work wise). State that you also gave him a pensioners discount. Explain the reason for taking the roofing off the shed, and that it was out side the scope of work, but you removed and replaced FOC and to a good standard.

Also summarise by saying that you consider his threat unjustifed, and will ask him againg for payment within.

keep all copies of correspondance

Hi all,

Just to conclude this case!!
Thanks for your advise and replies, i went back on the agreed date and the old boy says "now, what i want you to do today is........ and come back NEXT spring to replace the corrugated sheets and collect payment" Having a fu**ing laugh mate! Im here today to sort out your problem and will be taking payment when finished, He then says "well dont come back at all then!" This was all recorded on my colleagues phone (and video) to cut a long story short we sorted the problem, he was happy in the end, but then when he got out the invoice i'd sent him (including extra work price) he began deducting his own 10% discount from total bill! FFS for the sake of £120 or watever it was i let it go, got my cheque, banked it the same day, - didnt bounce, a week later got another email from him still bl**dy moaning about how the sheets should have been replaced with new in first place, working in the dark, etc etc etc. Then asks where his receipt and guarantee are? What guarantee and receipt eh MW Roofline!!! Cheers for the help guys (and gals!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back