How to fit door under the stairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to fit door and frame under the stairs. Pretty good at diy. Frame not a problem to build with standard door casing wood.
don't know how to start the project, or where to get a small door from.
I have an approximate opening of 710mm x 1220mm high. The door casing will go inside the wall and the newell post of the stairs, not sure if to cut frame into skirting board or cut the back of frame to skirting board profile.
Any help much appreciated, especially links to site supplying small doors.
How would a carpenter set about doing this job ?? :?:
thanks
mike

Sponsored Links
robowen said:
not sure if to cut frame into skirting board or cut the back of frame to skirting board profile.
Depends if the skirting board is a pine or varnish finish then cut the skirting board to the frame ( you may find it easier to removed the skirting board) and if it's painted then you could cut the frame round the skirting then make goods plus paint.

You maybe better off to try and make the door to the size you want instead of looking for the nearest size you can get.
There are many way to make a door, mdf with a router finish, a frame with internal T&G, a frame with wallpaper insert to match the decor, a mirror door and so on.

everything is wood varnished. dont want to pull skirting off if I have to. just had plastering done and painted all round. not sure about routing mdf as I dont have the tools for that job. would be happy with a simple door with a hardwood finish to it, but cant find door blanks anywhere local to manchester. Is it an easy job to make a door from a couple of sheets of marine ply with battons internally for frame and lock. ? how would I make the edge of the door look like its supposed to ??
basically.....how do I make a door ??
thanks
mike

Sponsored Links
helllooo robowen

without a router your restricting your option

you could make it with a softwood [2by 1] 20mm 2x6mm faced ply=32mm
then you would need 6mm hardwood edging say 6mm by 32mm
to cover all exposed edges

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back