Cracked Lintel Above Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd like some advice please. About 5 years ago I had a mid-1960's house fitted with full double glazing, doors and a conservatory. The company offer a 20-year guarantee on the windows, but I'm not sure about the work?

I am about to move home and I have just noticed that the lintel above the kitchen window is badly cracked and distorted (gap of about quarter of an inch or more). This is bound to cause issues in any sale.

What should my approach be? Can it be patched and filled? Or must it be replaced? If so, how easy a job is this?

Window is 6 feet wide by 3 foot 3 inches deep.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1) Call your insurers

2) Call the fitting company (assuming that they put the lintel in)

I will call the insurers, just after a bit of advice as to whether the lintel is repairable or not, and how risky it is NOT to do so.

The window company did not put the lintel in. It's the original from the 60's build.

Cheers

I will call the insurers, just after a bit of advice as to whether the lintel is repairable or not, and how risky it is NOT to do so.

The window company did not put the lintel in. It's the original from the 60's build.

Cheers

then now't to do with the window company unless they badly dammaged it

as its concrete it doesnt rely on the window for strength

also not an insurance job [its a maintainance job]unless you have somthing like susidance

Sponsored Links
Gents,

Thanks for the responses, however, I'd really like an answer to the questions:

Can it be patched/filled?

Must it be replaced?

An idea of cost would be good too?

Cheers

which way do the cracks run are they all the way through
is anything else moving[like the brickwork above]

if the cracking is localised and along the length theres a fair chance the rods have rusted and swolen on the outside edge pushing the concrete off and less likely to be a structural problem in the near future

but to be honest i am a chippie and would preffer a builder or simmilar to pass comment as i am not equiped to fully answer

but in general if its an old crack and nothing else is cracked or moving then just keep an eye on it

picture would be handy

Hi,

There is no other structural movement obove the lintel. Everything looks good inside the property and it is only the lintel that is damaged.

The main damage is central to the length, with the concrete being lifted by about a quarter of an inch for a lenght of about 4 inches. There is a further crack, more than hairline, but not apart towards the right end of the lintel.

Can't post a photo though, sorry, no camera.

It sounds to me like the steel reinforcing bars in the lintel have rusted and caused the crack. It's unlikely that you'll be able to disguise it.

It's not a particularly difficult job to replace it if you have to, but it will mess up your decoration inside the house.

Another possible cause could be that having fitted the d/glazing the lintel is now overspanned i.e reduced support to either end and if the old windows were timber framed they may have had mullions (the vertical timbers in the frame) that transmitted the load on the lintel to the cill beneath. I'm assuming that the the crack described is vertical or nearly vertical. Just my 2pennorth! But as its now a couple of years down the line this has hopefully been remedied.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back