Extending ADSL line from filtered socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help, I've searched round but can't really find an answer. My phone line enters the house upstairs to a (master) socket with a faceplate that has ports for both phone line and line to an ADSL modem.

I would like to extend this socket downstairs for use with a wired modem used for a games console. As my phones operate wirelessly from a base station at this master socket there is no problem there.

Can I simply add wires 2,3 and 5 to the master socket, send outside the house and in again where the new phone socket is required, and then use a microfilter and into the mode? I have read that if you do not do this correctly you can drastically reduce broadband speeds.

I realise that it would be preferable to extend a ethernet cable from a modem/router upstairs directy into the games cosole, but am not aware of amywhere you can 'make' your own ethernet cable to facillitate going through walls etc.

Any help very much appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The faceplate has a built in filter so any connections off that will not need filtering,just run a extension wire and if its only for a game consul just use the 2-5 terminations.......but DO NOT add any more filters to the line,see www.adslnation.com this is full of useful info

but am not aware of amywhere you can 'make' your own ethernet cable to facillitate going through walls etc.
You can buy cat5 cable by the 305M pull box from any serious computer supplier and in smaller lengths from the likes of B&Q and maplin. Plugs and wallports should also be availible from similar sources.

Plugs are put on with a special crimp tool basic ones of which can be had for about a tenner if you shop arround. Wallports are punched down in a similar way to phone points.

Note: cat5 cable comes in both solid and stranded core. If you use wallports you must use solid core. If you use plugs directly on the cable you must use the right plugs for the cable type (if plugs don't say which cable type they are for don't buy them).

Can I simply add wires 2,3 and 5 to the master socket, send outside the house and in again where the new phone socket is required, and then use a microfilter and into the mode? I have read that if you do not do this correctly you can drastically reduce broadband speeds.
Assuming the filter is a standard BT one no. The signal on the rear terminals of the BT filter is already filtered and you can't unfilter the signal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back