K glass misting up on the outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i had a conservatory built and K glass was used all round i seem to have a problem with the outside panels misting up there is a definate square with about a 2" gap all round thats not misted up
its strange i have seen a lot of conservatories and have had double glazing in several houses but have never seen the outsde misting up like mine does its been there all day today i can understand windows misting up on the inside of the room due to a certain anmount of condensation and lack of heat i wonder if anyone else has got this prob with so called insulated glass that now has to be fitted it has been fitted the right way round as i have checked it when it was first installed
the labels were on the glass to tell you the inside and the outside way it should be fitted

mick

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I get the same effect on my french windows that have the same type of glass and I think its normal and nothing to worry about.

I'm sure someone could explain the phenomenon, something to do with dew point perhaps. Usually the misting goes as the external temperature rises.

External condensation (dew) can occasionally occur on highly insulating glass units in temperate climates. Such occurrences will only happen on cloud-free nights when there is little or no wind and usually when a warm front follows a dry spell.

The combination of several factors, namely external air temperature, localised microclimate and the thermal transmittance of the glazing itself may all contribute to the formation of external condensation. As a consequence of variable temperatures and localised conditions, it is possible to experience a situation whereby both clear and ‘misted’ windows exist at the same time in the same development.

This phenomenon is influenced by the thermal insulation of the glazing. Single glazing offers poor thermal insulation therefore heat escaping from inside a room readily passes through the glass to the outside environment. Consequently, the external surface temperature of single glazing is generally higher than the‘ dew-point’ temperature of the outside air, thus prohibiting the formation of condensation on that surface.

With conventional double glazing the thermal insulation is improved, but sufficient heat still escapes through the glass so as to warm the external surface of the outermost glass, thereby precluding the formation of condensation in most circumstances.

In common with other low emissivity glasses, Pilkington K Glass reflects heat back into the room and as such the quantity of heat passing through the glazing is reduced. Consequently the external pane of low emissivity double glazing is not warmed by escaping heat (which instead is retained within the room) and therefore presents a colder surface to the outside environment.

In such cases, and in situations where the external glass surface temperature is lower than the ‘dew-point’ of the air, (and when weather conditions are comparable to those mentioned previously) condensation can form on the external glass surface.

However, the combination of these contributing factors is largely unpredictable and therefore it is not possible to quantify the number of occasions when external condensation will occur.

Instances of external condensation are relatively rare and in all cases it will be a transient effect. Upon any one of the climatalogical variables changing, the condensation on the glazing will usually dissipate within a short period of time in much the same way as morning dew.

and addig a final note to your installation. it will have no detrimental effect to the performance of your units or lasting effects to the glass or frames.

Sponsored Links
and addig a final note to your installation. it will have no detrimental effect to the performance of your units or lasting effects to the glass or frames.

External condensation (dew) can occasionally occur on highly insulating glass units in temperate climates. Such occurrences will only happen on cloud-free nights when there is little or no wind and usually when a warm front follows a dry spell.

The combination of several factors, namely external air temperature, localised microclimate and the thermal transmittance of the glazing itself may all contribute to the formation of external condensation. As a consequence of variable temperatures and localised conditions, it is possible to experience a situation whereby both clear and ‘misted’ windows exist at the same time in the same development.

This phenomenon is influenced by the thermal insulation of the glazing. Single glazing offers poor thermal insulation therefore heat escaping from inside a room readily passes through the glass to the outside environment. Consequently, the external surface temperature of single glazing is generally higher than the‘ dew-point’ temperature of the outside air, thus prohibiting the formation of condensation on that surface.

With conventional double glazing the thermal insulation is improved, but sufficient heat still escapes through the glass so as to warm the external surface of the outermost glass, thereby precluding the formation of condensation in most circumstances.

In common with other low emissivity glasses, Pilkington K Glass reflects heat back into the room and as such the quantity of heat passing through the glazing is reduced. Consequently the external pane of low emissivity double glazing is not warmed by escaping heat (which instead is retained within the room) and therefore presents a colder surface to the outside environment.

In such cases, and in situations where the external glass surface temperature is lower than the ‘dew-point’ of the air, (and when weather conditions are comparable to those mentioned previously) condensation can form on the external glass surface.

However, the combination of these contributing factors is largely unpredictable and therefore it is not possible to quantify the number of occasions when external condensation will occur.

Instances of external condensation are relatively rare and in all cases it will be a transient effect. Upon any one of the climatalogical variables changing, the condensation on the glazing will usually dissipate within a short period of time in much the same way as morning dew.

can't really get better than that! :cool:

My Irish builder fitted our K glass inside out! No joke.
As it had all been siliconed into hardwood frames we could not change it. I called Pilkington and they advised the reflective coating is on the inner pane in the cavity and it would not cause serious loss of efficiency having it on the outer pane rather than the inner pane.

Just in case anyone was in the same position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back